Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got this cutomer who wants me to..

this weekly customer calls me saying her grass grows to long
and wants me to cut it shorter im like ok no problem
i cut it shorter,this week she calls me up saying well you left bunch of dead grass spots im like well you wanted me to cut it short so thats what it does
she says well teh grass is growing to fast again can you lower it aggain im like ok cut the grass again brought down the mowers..the mower where almost stalling thats how low i was getting anyway,she calls me back saying theres even more clippings on her grass...lol

what should i do now??

Im not raking her clippings shes the one that wanted me to go lower

i do not bag any of my contracts
21" Toro Super bagger 2011
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

explain to her the problem and charge a premium. Either that or get her on a more regular basis. This seems to be a continuous cycle. I had a customer who never thought the grass was short enough. I would also explain to her that you have very little control over how fast the grass grows. It grows too fast? I always loved hearing this. Is there anything I can do to slow down the growth? Seriously? Slow down the growth?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Maintenance_2010 View Post
she calls me back saying theres even more clippings on her grass...lol

what should i do now??

Im not raking her clippings shes the one that wanted me to go lower

i do not bag any of my contracts
Did you tell her this?

Mick
Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

she call me back to cancel...I never had problem with her till she told me to go lower
then all the problem's started...i mulch my clippings .but when you used to cut grass that is used to be cut higher and then you cut 2 times lower then usual there will be lots of clippings all over the grass....

Yes i did tell her that il try my best to prevent it...but theres so much you can do..

Im still new in the business..but what i did does make sense right?

I'm starting to think she either found another company or she will ask her bf to do it
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just about all of the customers i picked up in one neighborhood was because the last guys left to many clumps of clippings. I just go over the yards with my blower and blow the clippings around. It is also bad for the grass to leave clumps of clippings.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Just about all of the customers i picked up in one neighborhood was because the last guys left to many clumps of clippings. I just go over the yards with my blower and blow the clippings around. It is also bad for the grass to leave clumps of clippings.
totally agree clumps of clippings looks bad,but thats what happens when you cut grass really short...i can barely see clippings when i cut my other contracts
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Maintenance_2010 View Post
she call me back to cancel...I never had problem with her till she told me to go lower
then all the problem's started...i mulch my clippings .but when you used to cut grass that is used to be cut higher and then you cut 2 times lower then usual there will be lots of clippings all over the grass....

Yes i did tell her that il try my best to prevent it...but theres so much you can do..

Im still new in the business..but what i did does make sense right?

I'm starting to think she either found another company or she will ask her bf to do it
she will be searching for a new lawn company for a long time of course if you cut it to short its going to leave dead spots and clippings lol... Thats like if you cut your hair to short you will have bald spots I would not worry about it she will be back but deffinatly sounds like a pita for sure...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why didn't you explain to her that different cutting heights aren't going to effect how fast it grows and that if you cut lower you would either have to bag or double cut which would be an additional charge.

Sounds to me like you just didn't communicate and are very defensive with the "this is how its gonna be then" attitude. Most people don't know much about grass, that is why they hire someone. You should have took the time to explain the consequences to the contact better and let them decide.

I'd chalk this one up as a lesson. Communicate better next time and learn why you don't cut grass down to nothing so you can educate them on it, then let them make the decision. If you don't educate them, they are gonna just say do it, cause they are the ones paying you to do it.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the communication suggestion.

Blowing the clippings helps but it doesn't get rid of them. They might be spread out but they are still there. Shoes and pets can track them inside your customers house.

Next time ask to increase the frequency of cutting (every 5days) to achieve your desired height. This decrease your chances of making a mess or destroying the grass.

Whenever I cut, if I see a big mess I always stop and bump my blades up. Walking through lawns with a blower sucks. If this is the case try going to 5 or 6 days like mentioned until you have your place under control. My nicest lawns are ALWAYS on 5-6 days during the spring. My nicest lawns are also my most understanding customers.

facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To get rid of the clippings, cut the gass again at a higher level and if need be, triple cut it, but don't forget to charge extra!
Posted via Mobile Device