Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Boy they are selling a bunch of those V-ride in our area. I see them poping up on the bigger companies. They are having a little problem with the hydro fittings but that seems to be getting fixed with upgrade hardware the local shop is installing. The increase in efficiency is what is often discussed.
That's good to hear that they seem to have addressed the hydro fittings. I'm glad there is such a high opinion of these machines. I will definitely be purchasing one soon. If not in the next month or so, definitely by next spring!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any other opinions good or bad? Or did we pretty much cover everything?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

" did you notice any scalping with the 52" decks? " No. That is another reason the guys like them. I might buy a third one this fall if the price is right. And we will be demoing the 61" mowers when they come out. We like these so well that as someone else said the riders are done. We demoed several and Scag was the best. They just need a bigger fuel tank. I do not hesitate recommending the 52" Scag mowers to anyone.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag has been on my "to demo" list, but I'm going to be upgrading them to a definite.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to know how they cut on Bermuda. I looked at a 36 but I'm afraid of scalping issues on Bermuda. Its very rare to get a nice smooth level lawn in my area. My 44 Hustler Super Z is a nice machine and on certain lots I can fly, but the nice Bermuda lots I have to be careful scalping and it leaves stringers if it is a lush thick lawn. I need something compact, fast, great cut that doesn't scalp Bermuda.

Maybe someday, but I can still dream I guess.

Dave...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnjocky View Post
" did you notice any scalping with the 52" decks? " No. That is another reason the guys like them. I might buy a third one this fall if the price is right. And we will be demoing the 61" mowers when they come out. We like these so well that as someone else said the riders are done. We demoed several and Scag was the best. They just need a bigger fuel tank. I do not hesitate recommending the 52" Scag mowers to anyone.
That is awesome....that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
Scag has been on my "to demo" list, but I'm going to be upgrading them to a definite.
Definitely check it out. Well worth it. Scag really did a good job on this mower. Where else have you seen a thread where everyone has something good to say about any machine? lol
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New members, pay attention and learn what a good thread is.

This guy had something to offer as well as to ask.

He created a thread of wide general interest, not just one created only for HIS needs/interests.

He used coherent grammar and spelling.

He didn't create a thread on a topic where 35 threads already exist.

He included pics to further our understanding of the machine, not as a substitute facebook page to show off his toys.

Now, try to be like him.

Glad to finally hear more feedback on this machine.

Does the platform cushion the shock on knees/ankles well?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't think of many companies in my area that really use stand-on mowers. I saw my first toro grandstand "in the field" just the other day. I have yet to see the scag v-ride but they look kind of cool. I love stand-on mowers and hope to have one in the near future...but I bleed green, so I'd have to really like the scag to get it.

Any other pics of lawns after you mowed them with the scag?
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
New members, pay attention and learn what a good thread is.

This guy had something to offer as well as to ask.

He created a thread of wide general interest, not just one created only for HIS needs/interests.

He used coherent grammar and spelling.

He didn't create a thread on a topic where 35 threads already exist.

He included pics to further our understanding of the machine, not as a substitute facebook page to show off his toys.

Now, try to be like him.

Glad to finally hear more feedback on this machine.

Does the platform cushion the shock on knees/ankles well?
I love this post! Too funny. And thanks by the way!

To answer your question, I used the machine for about a week and a half and my knees and ankles felt great. The platform was very "bouncy" if you will. It allowed the machine to take a lot of the shock and I feel that standing was better for my back in general instead of getting all thrown around while sitting. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's the only way I can explain it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I can't think of many companies in my area that really use stand-on mowers. I saw my first toro grandstand "in the field" just the other day. I have yet to see the scag v-ride but they look kind of cool. I love stand-on mowers and hope to have one in the near future...but I bleed green, so I'd have to really like the scag to get it.

Any other pics of lawns after you mowed them with the scag?
Yeah it's funny that you say that because besides Wrights, I really never see that many stand ons around here. To this day I don't think I've seen a Grandstand or an Exmark Vantage around here. It's funny that you say you bleed green and would have to really love the scag to buy it. I never thought I would buy anything but Toro or Exmark. But I tried this mower and will definitely be adding an orange machine to the fleet, which says a lot because I am totally OCD about having all red equipment between Exmark, Toro, and Redmax. lol

Oh and I did find two pics that I took. I will try to remember to bring my camera in today after work.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Boy they are selling a bunch of those V-ride in our area. I see them poping up on the bigger companies. They are having a little problem with the hydro fittings but that seems to be getting fixed with upgrade hardware the local shop is installing. The increase in efficiency is what is often discussed.
I am about 5-6 hours north of you and our dealers do not even have any in stock. T.O.P.E. is the distributor for my area and when I asked one of the dealers about a demo a couple of months ago they told me the distributor did not have a demo machine yet and they would probably have a 48" later in the year [so I guess I need to check back]. I still have some large places where my Hustler 31/66 is nice but I do get a sweaty back and swamp butt so I think the V-Ride would still give me good production and I could also use it on some of residential that do not need bagged with the Walker but the Hustler is really too large and heavy for.
I will say when I was doing demos on new mowers back 07 and 08 that the Scag Velocity deck had the best all round cut but I went with the Hustler for the ride and handling so if the V-Ride is more comfortable then it just might be a great match for me.