Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Sponsor

Clark,

From your earlier post, it sounds like you are cutting off 3 inches of grass at a time. Is that correct? For best results, we recommend cutting 1/3 of the length of the grass blade at a time or around 1”. We use a cut-off baffle as part of our bagging kit that may help your particular situation (cutting a little bit longer grass in lush conditions). It is part number 112-3983-03 and you can order it through your dealer. Again, it sounds like your deck may be being overloaded and we would recommend cutting less at a time or driving slower, but this part may be something to try.

-The Toro Company
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On this one particular lawn I am cutting off 3 inches with the deck set at 4 inches, this lawn grows incredibly fast and if you say to cut off 1 inch at a time I would have to mow this lawn 3 times a week!

I'll have to get some pictures together to show you exactly what it's doing on lush thick sodded lawns.

I just got my Scag back from the shop & I have to mow this lawn on Thursday so I can collect all the dead grass on the lawn and dump it off in the woods.

I will try the cut-off-baffle kit as you suggested and I hope it solves the problem, otherwise I really like this mower a lot, the 22 Kawi motor is incredible!

Thanks Again Toro Company, I Appreciate It!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Any Luck?

Clark, just wondering if you got the piece put in and if it works. I called the rep. from Toro that I've been talking to and told him about it. No response from them yet...big surprise. I was told by my dealer that the baffle would be of no help...another big surprise. Toro just needs to step up and say that the deck design is crappy and they screwed up. Then get their engineers on the problem so they can FIX it...wow there's an idea! In my book, the Toro reputation is on the line with this one.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
Clark, just wondering if you got the piece put in and if it works. I called the rep. from Toro that I've been talking to and told him about it. No response from them yet...big surprise. I was told by my dealer that the baffle would be of no help...another big surprise. Toro just needs to step up and say that the deck design is crappy and they screwed up. Then get their engineers on the problem so they can FIX it...wow there's an idea! In my book, the Toro reputation is on the line with this one.
Hey Croat, I finally got the piece on & took about 2 minutes if that to put it on, it works great!

Toro figured out what was happening, the grass coming out of the discharge area was swirling cut grass back under the deck and leaving a trail on the right side & this little piece of metal that Toro sent me stops that from happening, so the problem is solved!

And if you put the discharge chute up about half way with a bungee cord the cut grass will go flying out about 10 to 15 feet or more, the suction is just incredible now, even better than it already was!

In my opinion the little piece of metal should have come with the mower when it was new, hello Toro!

Good Luck With Yours, Clark

Last edited by Clark Griswold; 09-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Clark

Clark, you are the man. I dont know whos buttons you pushed, but you got somebody thinking. Amazing how that little piece of steel completely changes the mower. I must say, its nice to be able to cut and not have to go back over it with a blower. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
Hey Croat, I finally got the piece on & took about 2 minutes if that to put it on, it works great!

Toro figured out what was happening, the grass coming out of the discharge area was swirling cut grass back under the deck and leaving a trail on the right side & this little piece of metal that Toro sent me stops that from happening, so the problem is solved!

And if you put the discharge chute up about half way with a bungee cord the cut grass will go flying out about 10 to 15 feet or more, the suction is just incredible now, even better than it already was!

In my opinion the little piece of metal should have come with the mower when it was new, hello Toro!

Good Luck With Yours, Clark

I just purchased a 2011 Toro timecutter SS 4235. I have not had a chance to mow with it yet. Toro did you fix this problem in the deck or am I going to be having the same problem?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Member

1506cmo18, Hopefully for your sake they have corrected the problem. If not, get the baffle from your dealer asap and save yourself a ton of extra work.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
1506cmo18, Hopefully for your sake they have corrected the problem. If not, get the baffle from your dealer asap and save yourself a ton of extra work.
How has your timecuuter been holding up? Do you know the part number for the baffle?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry. dont have the part number handy. But, just call your dealer or conact Toro through their website. What you are needing is the baffle that fits just inside the discharge and is used when the bagging attachment is attached. Good Luck
Old 03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry. dont have the part number handy. But, just call your dealer or conact Toro through their website. What you are needing is the baffle that fits just inside the discharge and is used when the bagging attachment is attached. Good Luck
Ok thanks,

How is your mower holding up? I'm debating keeping mine as I will be using it to mow about 10 hours a week. Any problems on your end?