Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Dear Lawnsite members,

Your post about ground pearl scale insects caught my attention.
I am a graduate student working at the American Museum of Natural History on scale insects, I try to understand their evolution with the plants they infest, that can be very useful for applied fields.

If any of you come through a ground pearl infestation in your garden, could you please contact me directly? Thank you very much.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecochenille View Post
Dear Lawnsite members,

Your post about ground pearl scale insects caught my attention.
I am a graduate student working at the American Museum of Natural History on scale insects, I try to understand their evolution with the plants they infest, that can be very useful for applied fields.

If any of you come through a ground pearl infestation in your garden, could you please contact me directly? Thank you very much.
so are you in DC? are you an entomologist as well
we have companies calling about scale fairly often what are you looking to identify
Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
so are you in DC? are you an entomologist as well
we have companies calling about scale fairly often what are you looking to identify
I am an entomologist but I am based in New York City, at the American Museum of Natural History.

I can identify scale infestations if specimens are sent to me (they require slide mounting to be identified). I am mostly interested in receiving ground pearl insects for later my own research and can provide identification subsequently.

Please let me know if you have people contacting you on that matter.

Thank you.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecochenille View Post
I am an entomologist but I am based in New York City, at the American Museum of Natural History.

I can identify scale infestations if specimens are sent to me (they require slide mounting to be identified). I am mostly interested in receiving ground pearl insects for later my own research and can provide identification subsequently.

Please let me know if you have people contacting you on that matter.

Thank you.
You did not leave any contact info, you can contact me via email at bill@ictorganics.com
Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
TSP mixed with Dylox turns the active ingredient into DDVP aka Vapona. That is an organophosphate pesticide with an LD 50 of less than 100 MG/KG and very easily absorbed through skin. It is also extremely volatile. I would rather take my chances with a Merit application drenched in with a soil surfactant.

To whom it may concern, this is the method I found and used after researching it. I found a study that was done(don't ask for a link Kiril. It was 2 or 3 years ago) using this technique and I used it with some success. The study found that by applying Merit along whith a wetting agent, you introduced a systemic insecticide that would hang in the root zone for an extended period. This would allow the turf to more readily take it up through the roots and of course, that's where the "pearls" are attached to the plant. By using tis method, there was no need to try to defeat the hard shell of the pest. They simply ingested it. I eliminated the pests in some cases and in others I signifigantly reduced numbers and kept them under control. I only had 5 or 6 cases out of hundreds of cutomers but I still have access to most of these lawns.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Ted .... got a link to that paper?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Hey Ted .... got a link to that paper?
Too funny Kiril! I guess I'm just not as "organized" as you.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Maybe this one? Not really a study, but it does mention studies (without reference I might add).

http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/groun...give_ground_2/
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I would replace "organized" with "blessed with discretionary time"
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently working with a scientist at NC State University on a way I have developed to kill Ground Pearl and so far all the results have been positive. The process is very simple and the effectiveness is undeniable. I am located in Wilmington NC, here the problem is massive. I would like some feedback from other areas in the country to get a feel for how extensive this problem really is.