Register free!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you do inground hot tubs?

I am interested in the concept of in-ground hot tubs, I would like some input or some direction in installation techniques. Two friends of mine are interested in doing similar ideas, i would like to do the work for them. If anybody can show me a website with some general ideas and directions that would be great.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A search on Google is a great start

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been searching google. It is just nice to get some input from others that are doing it, rather than possibly just someone that read a book and put it on the internet. Things like what to charge and how long it will actually take to build these units does not get put on the google searches, at least not from what i can find.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea, but check with some pool/spa companies and see if there is a forum like this but for pool builds etc. In a diferent aspect I have a lawyer friend that wants one built out of natural stone sunk in the ground.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We did one about 20 yrs ago, maybe more, at that time hot tubs were not real popular and putting them inground was unheard of at the time. With nothing to go on we went about installing one in a berm probably about 3 feet into the ground. We built up a pisa stone wall around the perimeter and set the hot tub sinside that. The bottom was just granular stone. I think it was two years later the owner called to say that his hot tub was floating and part of the pisa wall was opened up! Of course we had forgot to take drainage into consideration and never suspected that water would accumulate and actually lift the hot tub.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
We did one about 20 yrs ago, maybe more, at that time hot tubs were not real popular and putting them inground was unheard of at the time. With nothing to go on we went about installing one in a berm probably about 3 feet into the ground. We built up a pisa stone wall around the perimeter and set the hot tub sinside that. The bottom was just granular stone. I think it was two years later the owner called to say that his hot tub was floating and part of the pisa wall was opened up! Of course we had forgot to take drainage into consideration and never suspected that water would accumulate and actually lift the hot tub.
I don't think you are thinking the same idea as what i am. but funny story, lol floating hot tub, did you tell them that was extra charge for the customization.

What i am talk about it not just putting a hottub in the ground the way you said. What i am talking about is making a custom hot tub, that is in the ground the same way as a fiberglass pool, and has the look of the natural hot spring.

I have a job for next year that i am installing a pond, kind of like the fish ponds you see in most peoples back yard, but i am going to make it into a swimming pool but it will be just like going swimming in a pond. I am looking for an idea that is somewhat the same as that, but for a hot tub.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

have you thought about a gunite style pool with radiant heating ran through then cap it with nat stone? would be more like a warm tub but could be 100% custom built on site and allow for various options. You could also try and do some type of remote box that has a heater and have the "hot" water circulate via a small bubbling fountain/water fall. it could easily be done might not be practical but it can be done if you think out side the box.