Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bulk tree planting??

I was asked to bid some finish grading and seeding today for a new business thats going in close to my house.

Well, as always the conversation turns to what else can I do for the general contractor thats in charge of this project.

The project has roughly 100 2" trees to be installed into the parking lot islands and around the whole property in general.

My question is, since I was asked to bid the tree portion of the project as well, what do I charge per tree to plant them. Just the planting, not the cost of the trees them self.

I have an employee that thinks we should charge half of what each tree costs to plant each tree. But, the general has asked for a per tree install cost, since the new business itself, sells trees and might want to supply them to us at thier expense

Does any of this post make any sense?

J.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

B&B? Got an auger? Warranty? Soli amendment? Mulch? Staking? Gator bags?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're just planting the trees then you will be exposing yourself to very little liability. However, if you have to warranty or maintenance the trees in anyway after install, you're pricing structure would probably change quite a bit.

You'll be a lot faster planting them with an auger rather than a digging with a mini ex.

If it's just an auger (in soft soil), plant and go operation I'd figure somewhere between $75.00 - $155.00 per tree.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For 7500 dollars I would ride up there and put them in myself.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning on using an auger on one of my excavators to punch out the holes.

If I am supplying the trees, I am planning on doing some sort of a warranty on them, but I think that the company that we are bidding for will end up supplying all the trees and plantings.

I am planning on punching out the holes with the auger, throw in some fert, place the tree, backfill with some topsoil (Since the area we might work in is all fill clay) mulch, stake and water. Any extra watering will be done by us for a fee.

Alls I need is a number to start with. It doesn't take us all that long to plant a tree, so that $150 number seems super high. but then again, I did ask for numbers.

J.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd figure about how many you could do a hour. Depends on if your putting them in a hole of hope. Meaning dig a hole, put the tree in and hope for the best.

If thats the case it shouldn't take long for two guys to auger, set the tree and backfill. So I'd figure 6-10+ a hour.

Note: I've never planted trees like that but thats kinda what I'm thinking.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge local towns and homeowners $500 per 3 trees of 2"+ or more per tree if less. It gets to be a pain inthe ass for cleanup if there is existing lawn and what not. Besides, if you dig the hole and soil is crap, more topsoil, more fill trucked away, more cleasn up. The numbers sound great below these numbers I listed, but when all is said and done, it costs more than you think to do it right.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say charge for the trees if you have to buy them, otherwise don't charge for the for the cost of the trees just to plant them.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd put one guy in the mini ex with the auger, constantly augering holes, one guy in the skidsteer taking away excess dirt and bringing in good topsoil, one guy in another skidsteer with pallet forks setting trees, and one last guy helping set trees, stake them, etc. I'm thinking you should be able to set 50 trees a day this way, so figure out what you costs would be and price accordingly.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
I am planning on using an auger on one of my excavators to punch out the holes.

If I am supplying the trees, I am planning on doing some sort of a warranty on them, but I think that the company that we are bidding for will end up supplying all the trees and plantings.

I am planning on punching out the holes with the auger, throw in some fert, place the tree, backfill with some topsoil (Since the area we might work in is all fill clay) mulch, stake and water. Any extra watering will be done by us for a fee.

Alls I need is a number to start with. It doesn't take us all that long to plant a tree, so that $150 number seems super high. but then again, I did ask for numbers.

J.
If you do warranty the trees, you can normally figure on 10% or less needing to be replaced. So make sure you factor that into your per tree cost.

I'm fully aware that $15,000 to plant 100 trees may be a bit high...depending on your market, but $7,500 is cheap. You're making money in your business - you'll figure out a price that keeps that trend alive.