Register free!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting an ATV. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a utility quad and I plan to keep it in the 400cc to 500cc class. I want 4WD and an independant rear suspension.

My main uses will be for recreation, hunting, and trail riding and I also plan to use it in the winter to plow snow in my driveway.

Right now the ones I'm considering are:
Yamaha 450 Grizzly($6899 msrp)
Polaris Sportsman 500HO ($5999 msrp)
Suzuki Kingquad 450 AXI ($6999 msrp)
Honda Rancher AT 420 ($?)

All of these seem to fit my requirements. I have an Arctic Cat dealer near me but I've heard some pretty bad things about them. I also have a Kawasaki dealer but they seem to have no quads with my size requirements. I also have several Honda dealers but I can't reall seem to find what I'm looking for in my price range. I absolutely will not pay over $7k. Thats one of the reasons the Polaris peaks my curiousity. I'm be able to get the plow and wench and still be under the cost of the others.

In my heart I prefer the Yamaha. I spent a weekend offroading on my buddy's 660 Grizz and I loved that thing. But this will be my first ATV and I want to make a wise decision.

I stopped by my Polaris dealer yesterday and test drove the 500HO. It had a good feel to it maybe slightly soft. (Maybe not a bad thing as I get a bit older). Also has a true automatic diff locker. The Grizzly has a manual locker while the Honda does not offer a diff lock. Dealer offered me a 2010 for $600 off MSRP ($5399) and the Snowplay/wench/install for cost $849. Total out the including taxes out the door was $6680.

Anyone have comments or recommendations?
What are you all riding?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you thought about a used quad? I have a 08 Can am renegade 800 and love it. My son has an 09 can am max lt 800 and it is a beast. The renegade wouldn't meet your requirements for plowing/hunting but the outlander/max would. You can pick up a used outlander (08, 09) in the price range stated. Look around. Alot of used atvs' are on the market with low milage/hours.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I've actually looked into the Outlander 400. It looks super nice but is on the expensive side of things. I've heard those Rotax engines are true beasts. Thats what they use in ultralight airplanes.

The used quad scene around here sucks. Lots of older 2WD quads but most of the newer late model quads are prices at or near what I can get a new one for. Paying an extra $500 for a new quad vs one thats 2-3 years old is money well spent in my mind.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you plan to do lots of trail riding and sliding, consider something with a sold rear axle...they handle better. See if you can find a new 2009 model, they don't like sitting on old stock. I picked up a 2007 Suzuki Vinson 500 that had almost zero hours and miles, factory warranty...its a beast. I'd shy away from used if you could...people beat the crap out of some ATV's...buyer beware.

The Vinson came with the wiring front and rear for a WINCH...not a WENCH. I also hate belt drive quads and prefer a wet type clutch, almost zero maintenance and no slipping if the quad is taking a mud bath.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im a polaris guy. Always rode their sleds and only 4 wheeler Ive ever owned is a polaris.
Keep in mind , if Im not mistaken . The new Canams are made in Mehico.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

From the list you gave in your original post, I'd go with the Sportsman 500, great ATVs, just gotta do the maintenance on them, a bit more maybe than, say a Honda, but Polaris makes a great machine, and the Sportsmans are awesome machines, great on the trail and able to work.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Test drove a 450 Grizz last night. I liked it. Size wise it felt similar to the Sportsman. But had a different ride feel to it. I kind of liked it. Felt a little more responsive. The dealer I drove it at would sell for $6599 however a volume dealer a little further away that I've heard great things about quoted me $5850 for the same quad. So right now that would make teh Grizz $450 more than the Sportsman 500 HO.

Also looked at the 550 Grizz. I realy liked that. It's the same size as the 700 only with a smaller displacement engine. Cool thing about it was that it had both Fuel Injection and EPS. Priced at $7100 though

The volume dealer quoted me $6250 for the 450 with EPS so that would be a $400 upgrade to Power steering which would come in handy for snow plowing.

Decisions decisions................

One other quote I got was for a Suzuki Kingquad 450 AXI for $6100. Cool thing about that would be that I'd get both FI and EPS for only $6100. Admittedly though I don't know much about Suzuki quads and I'm kind of hesitant.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Suzuki makes a great quad. Suzuki has been in business for a long time. They got their start making weaving looms. They also had one of the first powered bicycles which we now call motorcycles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh and regardless of what you buy, make sure its a full size. And contrary to AI and LT, I hate Polaris...I have never seen one that would hold up...parts are expensive too. All of them I ever rode were junk.

I currently own a Suzuki and a Honda, but had a Yamaha Quad several years ago.

Suzuki makes some of the power plants for Arctic Cats
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cgaengineer; 09-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what type of transmissions are in the Honda 420s but the Rancher 400 has the hondamatic. One of mine is being used for a parts bike because the trans blew. $1800 plus labor for a new one. They are tough but watch the Hondamatic trans. My other Rancher 400 runs great. The Can ams air and belt intake is low so you have to watch deep water and snow blowing into the intake or snorkel them. Also check radiator location on whatever bike you look at. When plowing the snow will cake and block airflow to the rad leading to overheating. Personally, as long as I can ride......ALL of them are good.