Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

PM me sometime I'm like you and just getting started out, I live in Knoxville as well, anyhow get intouch maybe meet up for lunch one day.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I am NOT a disabled VEt. however, I do currently have debilitating hip issues. My wife is doing most all of the mowing (the larger props w/ our helpers). The few lawns I do cut yet, I have someone do the "legwork" for me. ex: my oldest (18 y/o) daughter or a spare employee. I have a exmark 48" TT w/ a sulky and do ALL the cutting and truck driving and of course am still there for quality control purposes My clients still see me and it helps keep that personal touch in the biz.
So, my advice: get a little help to start yourself off this year. Lay your "goundwork", get your name out there and things will grow better faster next Spring 4u.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

A few questions

Thanks for the advice. Some help would be just about right. But as I will be just starting out, I would have no way to hire help. At least I'm not seeing it. I can still get around, just not as well. But it does seem to be getting worse as time marches on. So for now, I'm just keep putting my best foot forward (right foot) and see where that takes me.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blade, your age will be an asset when it comes to meeting customers, they like us older guys because we are often more considerate and reliable.

I started out at a late age and now at 51, I am still going strong. I do yoga to work out the kinks, and keep the old body going smooth. I hope to be working in the field for another ten years, but only because I want to, rather than I need to.

I plan to work hard and play hard till the end, I can retire when I am dead.

In your case, it may be wise to get some therapy from a chiropractor, physical therapist, whatever help you can get. If your start doing labor, the problems that you have now may become more complicated, so, if your in good health, start right away and make it a slow but steady transition to the life of doing manual labor.

When you can hire some help, you will be capable of teaching and developing new human resources. Then you can retire and let them take care of business. Or you can do what I plan, and that is spend my golden years hobbling around creating new landscapes and gardens, while giving some young people a chance to learn the good old ways.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's not too late trust me...i've picked up 3 new customers this week...one had some shrubs i had to cut down as well as mow the yard, one just wanted the yard mowed, and tomorrow i have a big 20+ shrub hedge trimming job in a really upscale neighborhood...i dunno if you can do all these types of things but there is all kinds of work out there right now....anything you can get now will give you a head start on next season as you may be able to keep some customers for next year too