Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my advice would be to get out a peace of graph paper. anything steeper than 5" per foot and you will be scrapping the mower deck on and off each time you load, as well as make it hard when the ramp is wet. so if your att 39" (and i assume you figured that is the top of the deck, and not the top of the frame of the truck) so you need 8 feet of combined ramp and bearver tail at a min. so then its just a matter of how to come up with the 8 feet. 3+5 4+4 its up to you, i tend to make the ramp as short as possible, but then you have to lengthen up the dove tail. if you to do what the angle between the end of your truck and the rear tires to be sure your not too long, or too low. you might be able to park on the beaver tail? depends on your peace of equiptment. how good are its brakes, can you wend a wheel chock on the floor of the beaver tail to help keep the machine in place. If you do park on the beaver tail make sure your ramp is strong enough to hold the mahine from going threw incase of brake failure.

its just planning. remember you have to get on and off the deck height too, so the lower you can make the end of the truck, the easier it might be if you had the ramp up for some reason
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, the 39" is the top of the deck. The green piece in the picture is 4'9" long. The ground up to the bottom of that piece is 20". The angel is 18Degrees. I'm still not sure if that looks to steep or not. You can also see the 30" that I chopped off so my dovetail could be a little longer, maybe.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think that its too steel , but your departure angle is way too low. you need to shorten the lenth of your bed or else your going to bottom out while driving

or make the dove tail shoter and the ramp longer
Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So you think the end of the green metal needs to be up a little bit? And I would just have a longer ramp to deal with.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think that departure angle of the truck as you have shown is too low, meaning the angle between your rear tire and a line drawn to the lowest futherest point. around here you would bottom out on the drive way.

I would move that point up 2 feet, either by shortening the bed, or shortening the beaveer tail (and extending the ramp)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
i think that departure angle of the truck as you have shown is too low, meaning the angle between your rear tire and a line drawn to the lowest futherest point. around here you would bottom out on the drive way.

I would move that point up 2 feet, either by shortening the bed, or shortening the beaveer tail (and extending the ramp)
I don't think it is any worse than the random "car Hauler" or Camper, hell even the local HandyBus.

My bed is allready a little less than 13'. It goes to the end of the origional van frame. Can't make that any shorter. And if I have to make the dovetail any shorter than pictured I may as well just use some huge ramps and forget the dovetail all together....Hell, beats me. That's why I am trying to get some input!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here are some examples of long and low tail ends......

From the looks of it, Mine should be CLOSE to looking like this last one. Once again, w/o measurements I'm just guessing.