Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

i try not to turn anything down. if the pay is right and my equipment wont do the job. il go rent the equipment i need, , or sub it out and make sure i still make a profit, even if its not much of a profit its still extra money, and the word will spread that beachtown can handle anything. i just received a invitation to bid from a neighboring city to clear 6 lots fully overgrown, way past mowing and brush hogging, i mean land clearing dozer work. i have a 48'scag-32'toro-21'toro, no way i could do it.. but wait a minute there's a sun belt rentals down the road i could rent a dozer for !$1750 a wk. and i have a buddy that owns several dump trucks and a loader that will haul and dump for x amount of dollars . I'm going to do the math and make a bid.

don't let a overgrown lot stop you.. if its over grown and needs a brush hog? rent one.. or sub it out and charge accordingly where you still make a profit and close the deal.. your CAPTAINPIKE nothing can stand in your way but yourself.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rent a brush hog, cut it down, then go back over it with the ZTR and hit it a second time while bagging it.

Bid it at $650 and see if she bites. And don't forget with this crapshot use the CUFF method of collections. Cash Up Front Friend.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah my dad has a bushhog as well as my brother in law so i would borrow theirs or ask them to do it then go back over it with the ztr lol
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My bid would be about 700-900$
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$65 an hour
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We sometimes like to stray away from this type of work for 2 reasons.

1.As someone mentioned earlier you have no idea what is hiding underneath that grass. Anything could be in there, like a dead cat, loppers or a log 7 inches in diameter. All of these from personal experiance. You bid a job at $40 and you ruin a set of blades, your profit is gone.

2. If I was someone driving buy and saw a yard that a lawncare company was mowing and was like "hhhhmmmmm...ok" then drive by the next day and looks like complete s&*t do you think the chances of them calling you for a service would ever happen. Not to likely. Even tho you did EVERYTHING you could to make it look good and couldn't help that the people are stupid, the driving by customer won't care in the end. The expect everything to look like a million dollars after you leave.

In my opinion people like this should pay good money in the end. If you are to lazy to get up off ur butt and mow ur yard then in the end you are going to pay me for it. I for one hate leaving a yard look like crap because that is my name on it. That is your advertising.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post
My bid would be about 700-900$
Posted via Mobile Device
thats would I wish I could charge on jobs like that!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare View Post
thats would I wish I could charge on jobs like that!
That one guy said it would take 2 hours is wrong! Because you have to bag it and that's after you mulch it twice. 3/4 acre is going to take you at least 6 hours and you'll end up using about 45 bags full of grass!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare View Post
We sometimes like to stray away from this type of work for 2 reasons.

1.As someone mentioned earlier you have no idea what is hiding underneath that grass. Anything could be in there, like a dead cat, loppers or a log 7 inches in diameter. All of these from personal experiance. You bid a job at $40 and you ruin a set of blades, your profit is gone.

2. If I was someone driving buy and saw a yard that a lawncare company was mowing and was like "hhhhmmmmm...ok" then drive by the next day and looks like complete s&*t do you think the chances of them calling you for a service would ever happen. Not to likely. Even tho you did EVERYTHING you could to make it look good and couldn't help that the people are stupid, the driving by customer won't care in the end. The expect everything to look like a million dollars after you leave.

In my opinion people like this should pay good money in the end. If you are to lazy to get up off ur butt and mow ur yard then in the end you are going to pay me for it. I for one hate leaving a yard look like crap because that is my name on it. That is your advertising.
I'm not even going to cut the yard. I already called the lady and told her to call another guy, and I'm not even sure if that guy can do it.

I could tell when I called her tho... she acted like she didn't remember me but really I could hear the dread in her voice. She didn't want me there doing it anymore than I wanted to do it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get one goat and chain him to a stake. He'll eat/mow tight circles every day so you'll have to move him often. After your done you can sell him to your local arabs.