Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLawnMan View Post
Well even more of a reason not to charge, then his customer may realize he doesnt have to charge because he has no overhead. Listen, do what you think is the best deal for you and your operation. Its hard to say to do something when I have know idea how you run your company. Im just saying from my prospective when a customer wants something extra and expects to pay and I knock it out and they never see a charge, well they appreciate that either now or maybe later. One of my crews called today and said "Hey the customer left a huge pile of oleander's that he cut up on the street side, its alot, did you want us to take it?" I said, "Go ahead and load it up and dump it at the shop, its friday we wont need the space anyways." Well sure enough I get a call from the customer thanking me and how much he appreciated it because now I saved him a trip to the dump on his saturday off and now he can keep his truck clean. He said to send him a bill, and I told him not to worry about it, that I appreciated him using us. He reponded, "You will be our company for many years, we are very happy with you" Now thats funny he would say that because just about a year ago we re-landscped his backyard and I was ready to drop him and he was ready to fire me, funny how taking a pile of debris away changes someones attitude.
I like that he called to thank you, good call on this one.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah nothing wrong with helping out on little things but that in the picture isn't a little job.....sometimes if you do something for free then the customer starts to expect you to do other things for free so it can work both ways....i do some things for free like pulling a few weeds out of the flower beds but something that is gonna take awhile to do isn't something i would do for free...if a customer is gonna want to fire you for charging them to do a job then that's the customer's fault for expecting you to work for free....if you do a good job a good customer is more than happy to pay you

Last edited by kilgoja; 09-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

This reminds me of a recent brush job I had. I charged the customer $200, about 50 foot long fence was covered and just got out of hand. Long story short, I had the wife help out on that job... apparently there was some poison ivy in there somewhere... she broke out horribly 10 days later all over her body. We're uninsured, with her 3 prescriptions and doctor visits we spent $300, oh yeah and we broke a shovel on the job, so add $30. Keep that in mind next time a customer complains about a bid for brush removal. How's that for expenses.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dang Blacketter you need some health insurance!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

You're right on that one, any good providers for the lco's?