Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I WAS RECENTLY APPROACHED BY A FRIENDS FATHER WHO WORKS FOR A CO. THAT SELLS SERVICES...ALL KINDS JANITORIAL,PLOWING LAWN MAINTENANCE, PAINTING..JUST ABOUT ANYTHING..THEY SELL THE WORK AND SUB IT ALL OUT..HAS ANYONE EVER DONE WORK FOR A COMPANY LIKE THIS????
Old 08-16-2000, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whats so Funny??

Andrews, why so negative on working for a contractor? Bad experience. I've done work before for building contractors, and a general contractor as well. As long as you get your money whats the difference that he makes some off the top? I used to sub out irrigation and tree work that was too large for us to handle, and I made a pretty penny on top of their price. Its business man, who cares if more than just you profit?

I actually liked doing work for the contractors because I only had to take $hit from one person instead of the owners of the 20 properties I was working on. It was alos easier to collect my $ from 1 person rather than 20. It simplified a lot of income for me.

Old 08-17-2000, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have subed lawns from a mow'n buddy for 4 years now . He is a solo as am I . He subs me what he can't do (the employee route hasn'tt worked well for him or myself). He works 12 hour days and 8 on sat. and is pushing sixty(applause).
Anyway I take his work for 90% , his prices are pretty good ( I'm faster than him) so it is fair to me . Last year this amounted to over 15K . He made 1500$ with no expense or time except for his billing .
I also sub out about 4 accounts that are off the beaten track for me and a buddy is closer to . Same arrangement as above .
In the future I hope to expand on these arrangments.
Old 08-17-2000, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't see any problem when sub job is set up right
but only if it is. I have a friend who got in the business
because his nephew had to much work and wanted to sub
to him. He quickly found out why the nephew subed those
particular accounts. He was responsible for collection and every account was a late pay and the most perticular nit-
pickers you would ever imagine. In other words he slid him his crap jobs. Needless to say he was only in the business
about 2 months and moved on to house painting
Old 08-17-2000, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, absolutely.

Let the company do all the marketing, sales, customer service, billing and collecting.

Then all you have to do is the work, not a bunch of time on administration and dealing with customers.
Old 08-17-2000, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sub-Contracting

If anyone REALLY contracts work out frequently, and does it the proper way in the books, as far as taxes, etc. Please e-mail me @ guido1@surf1.de I have some questions.

Thanks!