Register free!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for Blue Liner for Natural Pool/Pond? Know any Disturbers?

Do you guys know any Blue EPDM Liner manufactures or disturbers where I can find this?

I am building a very nice little natural swimming pool/pond. The home owners request a Blue liner and I have not run into to many of those in this color.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I know. EPDM is only available in black. If this is going to be a Swimming Pond installation, use a Swimming Pool liner. This would, however, probably require that the Pond be constructed with concrete or Gunite.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Tadpole is correct epdm only comes in black. About 15 yrs ago tetra made a blue liner but it was a pvc liner and was junk. The only other option besides the swimming pool app. that tadpole suggested is pond armor. However it isnt cheap and will make your project costs rise about 5-10 times.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to clarify my previous response. The swimming pool liner could only be used in the swimming area, it could not be used in the Phyto filtration (marsh/wetlands filter) area. These vinyl liners need replacing about every 5 years or so as I understand it. The filtration area would need to be sealed using Pond Armor or Koi Kote or comparable urethane epoxy sealant as replacing the liner would be near impossible or at the least very difficult and expensive.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

re

Well I found blue epdm liner. Pondliner.com will custom make the blue liner it is a little expensive but would be well worth it they also fold it making it fit perfect with out wrinkles.

Now to the walls what would you recommend. I think i just might use blocks and mortar them in. Would like to find the recycled walls to make it alot easier.

What do you think?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure that this is 45 mil EPDM? I know that they carry 30 mil PVC liner in Blue in dimension multiples of 6 feet. PVC liner is not durable. They even state this on their web site. I would not use it for any application, it just doesn't hold up. If they have really told you that they will custom make EPDM in Blue, I imagine that it would have to be at least a 100' roll minimum order with a comparabl3e width. Even so, no matter what you use for liner you will have wrinkles, it is the nature of the beast.

I gather from your post that you are going to construct this in a 'box' shape much like a traditional swimming pool. My question is why? What is your reason for not constructing it in the usual free form shape of most Garden Ponds? If the customer wants a natural swimming Pond, then shouldn't it look natural? The only 'wall' that you would need be concerned with would be the divider between the swimming area and the phyto/bioconversion area.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

re

I will need to find out if that was pvc or epdm.

the wall will be just to divide the swim area. It will be designed to be as natural as possible. Just looking to find what is the best method to build the swim area walls?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCPonds View Post
the wall will be just to divide the swim area. It will be designed to be as natural as possible. Just looking to find what is the best method to build the swim area walls?
If the vertical surface is to be sloped, then a soil wall can be left during excavation; If the wall is to be absolutely plumb, then prolly concrete block will work as well as anything.