Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Property Management Lunch

I have arranged a lunch for a property management company that handles a lot of the homeowner's associations in the area. The lunch is for about 15 community association managers and I am to give a 20 minute (approx.) presentation about myself, my company, benefits of using us, etc. I have done this before, but this one company seems to make there lunches a lot more formal with a set time and presentation. I usually just bring lunch in and talk with them individually and hand them promotional items (pens, letter openers, brochures, etc.). This has been mildly successful with the opportunity to bid about 3-5 properties over the course of several months, but I think I can do better.

My question is how can I get the most out of this presentation? Would it be wrong to hand out papers for them to fill out for their information and asking to evaluate any of their properties and give them a proposal? How many have done a lunch like this and how have you made it successful?

Thanks for any input or advice you may give!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I used to be a property manager as well so have sat through many of those lunches.

Take this opportunity to find out what problems they are encountering in working with contractors and managing their landscapes. Start off the presentation with about 5 minutes about how your company operates and why they should consider your service and then use the rest of the time to get them talking about what they are having problems with. This engages them in the meeting and gives you a chance to let them know just how you can solve their problems. Most likely the rest of the time you have will be spent with this topic (trust me!) but the rest of the time let them ask you questions and educate them!!!

As far as handouts, I would develop a sheet that offers them and their Boards a "Free Landscape Health Report" with a few questions regarding items of concern to them about their property. Tell them you will go out and evaluate the health of their landscape for free, no obligations and provide them with a report of your findings. I'm not sure how to say this any other way - but keep this offer "light & fluffy" - no obligation for them to give you the opportunity to bid the job. The idea here is to give them something that will make you memorable to them. It's a small price to pay to get your name out there and get your foot in the door. Say you spend 6 hours doing 2 reports (walking the property, travel, typing the report) If you get one opportunity to bid, then that's a small price to pay and quite inexpensive, wouldn't you say?

If you have a newsletter, be sure and have a 1/4 sheet sign up sheet they can provide their name and e-mail - just another way to keep in touch!

Naples, FL
(239) 200-0600
swlfloridatreecare@live.com
Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for your response. I will make sure to have that discussion with them. As a property manager, what problems did you encounter with landscape contractors? I want to be prepared as well as possible.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would do something different... I would make it a round table and go around the table and ask for their biggest complaints. Get them talking about what gripes they have. This is more likely to get them in an emotional state more likely to make a change rather than being sold a service.

Then at the end you do your brief pitch about your company and hopefully you have systems in place you can point out to deal with their problems. It would be really great if you could have something in your literature that points out how your systems prevent problems. So after they have vented they can see you have already proactively taken steps to solve their problems. At the worst you at least learn what makes them crazy.

As Jada mentioned this seems to be a fairly common practice so you should do what you can to make yours stand out and be memorable.

BTW I think this is a great marketing idea that is not used in my area at least to my knowledge so I will be stealing it thanks.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”