Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2003, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread is still going on?

Kind of ironic, I didn't log on at all the last 1 1/2 days because I was handing out 700 flyers. No complaints, no fines, but I got calls already.

In response to the good advice that was given:

I don't take this thread seriously and I am not giving any advice on the matter. I was asked my method of handing out flyers, and I responded. Its my method, my opinion, and the last time I checked I was still in America, so that I am entitled to. I saw 5 different mailman yesterday, and they all waved hello.

Some of your opinions may be that it is unprofessional, illegal, and irresponsible. My opinion is this: A guy out pounding the pavement trying to drum up business so he can support his family, and the families of those he employees making an honest living adding to the American Dream, is far better than the deadbeats who drain it. I am honest in my ways, and preach a solid work ethic and to take pride in your work. IMO sticking a flyer between the mailbox and the post, or between the mailbox and the flag takes nothing away from this.

Those of you who think different are entitled to your opinion. Just don't jam it down my throat next time and tell me I am unprofessional. I not only swim with the big fish, I try and help the little ones up stream on the way.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whats wrong with walking up to the door and putting it on the door handle?

My post was only pointing out that it is illegal to put anything in a mailbox,period. It doesn't matter what you can get away with. Why even take a chance on breaking the law?
Old 03-09-2003, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will say it is againts the law to put them in the mail box. But next time my mail box get run over i think the postel service should replace it.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't beleive that there are places in this country where you could get away with putting fliers on or in the mailbox. Around here it is taken very seriously. One of our new employees last year left a note for a customer in the mailbox not knowing that it was improper. Just one note and I got a serious reprimand from the post office and informed that if they ever found anymore, I would have to pay postage on them and likely be fined as well.

I really don't understand why people on this forum get so upset when they are told something is illegal. If it is illegal, it is illegal, and the best thing to do is acknowledge the mistake and take the advice and correct your ways.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
Old 03-09-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Doug I agree with you.. Around here (Boston) they don't like anyone using the mailboxes either. Of course I have always lived here, so I don't know how it is anywhere else, but it seems strange to me hearing that it's an accepted practice some places. When I was starting out I got the advice not to use mailboxes and took it. I'm glad I did because I have heard of some serious fines to other companies, some that went out of business because they were just starting out and could not afford it. I didn't want to take the chance, so I didn't. I suppose if the fine for speeding were 10 grand I would not go over any speed limits either
www.RobsonIndustries.net