Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Selling Firewood

I have been thinking about selling firewood this winter but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. Do I put a sign up or park a trailer load somewhere? (I've seen both done). If anyone has done this I need some suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And how do you price the wood you sell? Like how much per rick or how much per bundle and what size bundle?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Price is based on what everyone else in your area is selling. Not sure about the bundle thing cause we do by cord(128 cu.ft.). Some years its up ans some years its down. Advertise any and every way you can. Park trailers/trucks with signs, leave fylers/cards in gas stations, run an ad in the paper, etc. Its alot of work and its depends on how serious you are about doing it. Also take into consideration how far you have to go for the wood. Selling as split, blocked, length? It all factors in. Best bet is to check out some of the other guys who have been doing it awhile without pissing them off. Remember they were there first so try not to step on any toes. You are almost alittle late for getting wood this year but I guess you could get started but if you are serious about it you should spend alot of your summer collecting and splitting so its dry and ready. Are there alot of woodstove users in your area? My wife is from Virginia in the hills on the border of Ky and West Va., lots of trees but everybody uses oil or propane? Stupid if you ask me. All the trees around them would provide a great sourse of heat for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my neighbor sells firewood by the cord. He advertises on CL and I always see people over there buying it. He is retired and go's around his property and cuts trees all day long and splits them and puts them into 1/2 cords and full cords.
What i see around here a cord of wood go's for $35-$85.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar lawn View Post
my neighbor sells firewood by the cord. He advertises on CL and I always see people over there buying it. He is retired and go's around his property and cuts trees all day long and splits them and puts them into 1/2 cords and full cords.
$35-$85 per cord!!!!! How about shipping it to Maine and I'll be the middle man. $200 per cord dried and delivered is a good price here. $250 isn't out of the question either.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar lawn View Post
Cord of wood in the Birmingham, AL metro goes for around $135.00/cord----lesser for a p/u load---$75.00
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
$35-$85 per cord!!!!! How about shipping it to Maine and I'll be the middle man. $200 per cord dried and delivered is a good price here. $250 isn't out of the question either.
I will ask him to make sure but i thought he sold it for $60 a cord.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We get $405 a cord all day long here...but my wood has been cut, split and stacked for 12 months before I think about selling it...the rednecks charge like 200 a cord, but the wood was not split till the day it was ordered by the customer...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! 400$ for a cord. In NW OH its going for about 120- 130 per cord. I list an add in the paper and on Craigslist. Also drop off business cards at the local fireplace shop.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
WOW! 400$ for a cord. In NW OH its going for about 120- 130 per cord. I list an add in the paper and on Craigslist. Also drop off business cards at the local fireplace shop.
Keep in mind a cord is 3 4'x8'x16" stacks....some idiots around here call a 4'x8' stack a cord...when it is only 1/3 of a cord...a true cord for $120? No way, unless it is crap wood