Register free!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Firstly, Your lawn ornaments are nice, don't waste your time thinking about
what one Yahoo's opinion of your ornaments is.

You can certainly add on tom your existing pond by either digging your
pond next to your existing pond and dropping the wall between the two
ponds about one foot as we did or seperating it and placing the new pond
where you want.
We have a seperate 200 gallon biological pond 18 feet away from our existing pond.
The two ponds are connected via underground tubing.
If you look at this video, you'll see the biological ponds waterfall in the back
(located to the left of the walking stick tree) in the beginning of the video and at the end of the video.
Also keep in mind the dog leg section of the pond (the 1998 add on section of the pond) is 6ft w x 13 ft long.
That is the part that was added on with only a one foot drop connecting the two ponds.

Click this link to catch a glimpse of the pond located 18 feet away
from our existing pond...It's got lots of tacky lawn ornaments too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM1pR...eature=related

I'm sure Tadpole can help you figure this out better than I can. I just want to
give you confidence that it can be done by either hiring a pro or taking it on
as a DIY-er...you did a good job so far.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Niagara-

Glad to see that myself and CJF did not run you away from your own thread.

How large of and area do you have that you consider as available space. The only constraints as to what can be done are your imagination, space and your bank account.

A couple of things that I would recommend that you keep in mind with any expansion or addition if it is to accommodate fish.

1. For your climate, a minimum depth of 4 feet is advisable.

2. If you have Koi, plan on a maximum stocking level of one fish/250 gallons of water. This is another debatable guideline. Some say 100 gallons per koi, while some of the hard-core Koi fanciers will advocate 1000 gallons per Koi. Generally speaking you don't want to overtax your available biological conversion (filter) nor do you want your fish to live in stressful, tenement house conditions.

Whatever you decide, we will try to help. Who knows, once you learn enough, you can be the Pond Contractor for your area, since there is not one within 200 miles.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Well tadpole here is the latest in my expansion plans, I should say my wifes' plans, where I will be putting in a second pond will actually be lower than where the pond is now, so she thinks it will be just the same as when I did the stream into the pond, and in some way she is right. From the pond edge to where she wants to expand is about 8" lower so I think I can dig it down to the required 4' and have a bit of a waterfall from one pond to the other.
I think I will also put in a second skimmer and plumb it to the weir at the top. I think that the pump on the original pond can be used in the new pond and put a smaller, 5000 gph, in it's place.
Since it is now getting colder, I have purchased a small pond heater to keep the fish that she so lovingly fed all summer, alive.

I will be posting many more questions next spring I'm sure.

Thanks to all for their advice/comments
Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am assuming that you are going to wait until next spring to start this project.

There are a couple f things worth mentioning here-
-the upper pond must be smaller than the lower (new addition) pond or you will have major water loss during periods of pump shut=down.
-no real need for an additional skimmer. Move the one you have. The cascade connecting the 2 ponds will "skim" the upper pond. This eliminates the need for an additional pump
-The need for a pond heater is a given, I guess, in your location.

I am sure that there are other Forum members that have 'hands on' experience with cold climate ponds that could offer advice. Rarely does anything really freeze in my area.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have to decide for yourself if you want the headache of keeping a running pond going in a freezing climate. I mean having a waterfall/stream going can be a chore to keep the ice dams broken up to keep the water flowing INSIDE the pond/stream etc. Use your heater and keep a bubbler pump going to keep a hole in the ice if you shut the falls down. You really don't need a heater as long as you keep a hole in the ice for the gases to exhange etc. Stop feeding your fish when you get in the 50 degree water temprature, but they'll stop on thier own anyway.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't plan to keep the water flowing after the end of October. I am going to take the pump out and let it all level out. The temps here will be at about the freezing point either in Celsius or Fahrenheit so I expect the fish will be in a hibernation mode anyway.

I was told I need to either remove all the frogs or expect a mess in the spring?????
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you go about removing frogs? If they are still active, they will go right back to the pond. If they have already entered their winter hibernation or dormant period they will not be in the pond but in a safe place with breathable air. The frogs around here begin their winter rest when the temps drop to the 40's F overnight. They are cold-blooded just like the Koi.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls View Post
I don't plan to keep the water flowing after the end of October. I am going to take the pump out and let it all level out. The temps here will be at about the freezing point either in Celsius or Fahrenheit so I expect the fish will be in a hibernation mode anyway.

I was told I need to either remove all the frogs or expect a mess in the spring?????
Like I stated keep some type of pump for oxygen. Most will survive without, but I prefer to stay on the safe side.

Frogs? What frogs? They have headed for the hills already by that time.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

After much discussion with my wife, I have compromised (given in) and will enlarge my pond and make the extra much deeper. I hope to create a kind of hour glass shape and keep the existing skimmer where it is and add a smaller skimmer with a smaller GPH pump on the extension, and pump the water into the existing pond.

I have attached a picture to show where I plan to expand in a shaded black.

Is my plan for the pump realistic, or should I put in a secondary weir falls?

Oh yea, the black X is my existing skimmer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 10-18-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added skimmer info
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the expansion Pond going to be the same water level as the existing Pond or lower (8") as you posted earlier?