Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using biodiesel in a machine or truck?

I snagged an almost new 500 gallon tank and gasboy pump off craigslist the other day with almost 300 gallons of b100 (pure soy) for $295. Hardest thing was getting it on the trailer after backing it in between a slew of kayaks.

I mixed it 50/50 in the Takkie and my Ford 7.3 powerstroke - they seem to like it. Stinks pretty bad. Makes the smoke alarm go off really quickly in the barn when I park the Takkie, but makes the Ford noticeably quieter and smoother (165k miles).

Guess I'll have to watch the gel factor this time of year with the temps dropping.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've never ran it and never will, but from the guys we know that have ran it, its not worth it. Too many head aches
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm burning a 15% mix, I hate it, no power and my foot is always in the floor more often, screw the enviroment, I want power.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fuel filters cost way to much for my 6.0, I don't want to change them no more then I have too.

I heard that stuff was horrible on some filters

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know guys running it in 7.3's with no problems. Biodiesel lubricates better...thats probably why you're noticing it running smoother.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be using bio diesel in a 6.0-6.4 or the new 6.7 the tollerances for fuel quality is tight.

Old mechanical injection can take bio diesel your not dealing with the high pressures. Trying to save some money make cost you big money in the end so it usually isn't worth messing with anything but diesel fuel.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Arren't the 7.3 era Fords known to have the fuel tank delaminate from biodiesel blended fuel?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old gmc 6.5 diesel. It was an ex MO DOT truck and had Bio Diesel run in it most of its life. It played hell on that engine. It was a mechanics truck so only one guy ever ran it. When I bought it he said he would have to put and injection pump in the truck every 15 to 20 thousand miles. It just donest have the lubrication like the regular fuel deffinetly not worth it at all.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I converted one of my dump trucks to run on vegetable oil. I devised my own filtering/pumping station. I have 3-400 gallons of fuel ready oil ready to go.........it has been sitting there for several years now and I have no intent on running it through any of my rigs any more. I started blowing injectors off a newly rebuilt motor and after replacing a bunch of injectors, I figured I was lucky that I did not suck one down the motor. At this point, the technology of our engines is not compatible. Old vw's and mercedes work well with this stuff, but equipment and big trucks - not me anymore!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
It just donest have the lubrication like the regular fuel deffinetly not worth it at all.
Not true.

Bio has way better lubricative properties then ULSD, for this reason many folks blend bio in as a lubricant for their engines usually at 1 or 2 percent B2 or B1 sometimes B5.

Biodiesel has no less energy per gallon in relation to diesel, then gasoline with 10% ethanol has compared to 100 percent 87 octane.

Most issues with biodiesel come from poor fuel quality. Because bio doesn't have an industry standard, its getting a bad name from low quality fuel. A few things to watch out for with bio.

1. Water, particularly if made from used oil, water can be a definite problem, look for a facility that dewaters and tests the oil before processing.

2. Temperature, although producers will claim that bio is good down to somewhere around 40F, it really wants to be kept above 80.

3. Age, Bio is prone to growing algae (diesel grows algae too), this can gum things up in a hurry. Make sure your buying fresh biodiesel, and treat it too.

4. Biodiesel has cleaning properties, it will tend to lift up all the junk built up in fuel systems, if you are switching over, plan on doing the fuel filter very soon.

Is it easy, no, but it can be a pretty cool thing. and can potentially save you money. Its just about quality control