Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoh View Post
Arren't the 7.3 era Fords known to have the fuel tank delaminate from biodiesel blended fuel?
I did see some info. about that...I have a plastic tank in my Superduty...no worries. Lots of anecdotal evidence floating around.

Ron - are you forced to use B15 if you don't like it?

I'll end up using the rest of the tank as an additive to cut the petro stuff. Once it's down low enough I'm filling it up with petro to make it a 20% blend.

Zab - thanks for the info.. Any suggestions on what to treat this stuff with?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
Not true.

Bio has way better lubricative properties then ULSD, for this reason many folks blend bio in as a lubricant for their engines usually at 1 or 2 percent B2 or B1 sometimes B5.

Biodiesel has no less energy per gallon in relation to diesel, then gasoline with 10% ethanol has compared to 100 percent 87 octane.

Most issues with biodiesel come from poor fuel quality. Because bio doesn't have an industry standard, its getting a bad name from low quality fuel. A few things to watch out for with bio.

1. Water, particularly if made from used oil, water can be a definite problem, look for a facility that dewaters and tests the oil before processing.

2. Temperature, although producers will claim that bio is good down to somewhere around 40F, it really wants to be kept above 80.

3. Age, Bio is prone to growing algae (diesel grows algae too), this can gum things up in a hurry. Make sure your buying fresh biodiesel, and treat it too.

4. Biodiesel has cleaning properties, it will tend to lift up all the junk built up in fuel systems, if you are switching over, plan on doing the fuel filter very soon.

Is it easy, no, but it can be a pretty cool thing. and can potentially save you money. Its just about quality control

Well not sure about any of this as I am not a mechanic. All I know is when I took the pump off and took it to St. Louis Diesel Injection Service, they told me the pump was shot from running Bio Diesel. They told me that the pump was not properly lubricated and that is why it caused the pump to fail pre maturly at less then 15,000 miles. Weather it is just a bad fuel or not lubricated properly who cares... why take a chance at 1,000 a pop injection pumps, and the down time while it is getting fixed.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nothing but trouble here with BioD even @ 5% our problems began with we got an animal fat version of bioD and the next run a veggie BioD the two did not like each other. played hell on the filters on the pump and buses...Had to have a 2K tank pumped and cleaned. we go 5% biod every other tank full problems have lessened. but I won't run it in the skid or back hoe in the winter time since they sit out side from time to time..

replace filters on 26 transit buses.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

animal fat biodiesel, never heard of that before, have to admit that sounds like a terrible idea.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

had a guy i know that ran used motor oil in his 7.3 that he filtered down using home water filters. he ran some ridiculous percentages as well, like 50% he told me once???

said he read it on some diesel forum, had issues with injectors etc... but he still does it.

i drove the truck once and my eyes were watering from the fumes.

edit: i never fully investigated this option until just now after i typed this response, and it seems pretty established. i might set something up to be used in our diesel equipment, id never try it in the trucks though...

Last edited by ProTouch Groundscapes; 10-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I did see some info. about that...I have a plastic tank in my Superduty...no worries. Lots of anecdotal evidence floating around.

Ron - are you forced to use B15 if you don't like it?
It's bulk fuel from a better (and cheaper) dealer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

My dad burns used trany fluid in his 04 6.0 powerstroke. He usualy runs a mixture but it seems to like it. It dosnt get as good of fuel milage but hey since he gets it for free why not use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have made biodiesel for many years and have had no problems. However, I use a fractional distillation process that also works on used motor oil. Using transesterfication is a bad way to make biodiesel in my opinion. My dad has run his diesel Mercedes on waste vegetable oil for many years, and my own pickup truck runs on biodiesel and waste vegetable oil at the current time. My experience has been that everyone else I have known who has made alternative fuels has given up. Even myself, I purchased biodiesel from a supplier and it caused my dozer to lose power and die. Further analysis showed the fuel was not correctly washed. Classic diesels without electronics should all run on vegetable oil as Rudolpf intended.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be ready to change filters. Soy bio is a great tank cleaner.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have run my 7.3 ford on up to B20 biodiesel. it is noticibly quieter and smoother running with no loss of power. i liked the lubrication qualities as opposed to ulsd. until it is better regulated i'm not sure i would run more than B5 in a newer electronic truck.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI