Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
i have run my 7.3 ford on up to B20 biodiesel. it is noticibly quieter and smoother running with no loss of power. i liked the lubrication qualities as opposed to ulsd. until it is better regulated i'm not sure i would run more than B5 in a newer electronic truck.
X2

I've run B20 in my 2003 F350 and the comparison between the truck on B20 and ULSD is downright scary. Truck feels like it ha more power and is much, much quieter.

I doubt its more powerful since B20 and B5 blends have slightly less BTU content than straight petro ULSD. Slightly as in 1-3%. However the lubricity is much greater so its the thing that makes the engine less noisy.

Most new vehicles would have some trouble on B20 but should do fine on B5/B2 and most new carmakers warranty their engines up to B5.

Anything above B20 is a gamble on all but the oldest diesels in many cases.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree that the bio is a cleanser and when you suddenly introduce it to a system that has been running straight ulsd for a while it will break loose all the trash and stop up the filter, after a couple of tanks this problem should dissapear.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I have recently started running Biodiesel in 2 trucks & tractor. So For the tractor I run a b20 mix but both trucks are running on pure Biodiesel. I source it from a commercial supplier. Here in New Zealand for biodiesel producers to apply for grants they need to make their product to fuel standard. The producer is visited & a sample is taken which is interdependently tested. So quality is not a major problem. All my diesels are the older style so have had no problems. The Nissan shows the biggest improvement in that the smoke is almost completely eliminated. The motor I have (TD27) is normally known as a "coal burner". I have found that due to a higher flash point that use of pre-heat is needed when starting from cold. Price wise its currently 15c/Litre cheaper than petroleum diesel.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Be ready to change filters. Soy bio is a great tank cleaner.
pretty soon we will see it injected for cholesterol.. seriously!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I use 100% bio-diesel. Runs smoother,can not detect loss of power. I run a 2002 Dodge 3500 and 1996 Ford 250.My conclusion is that people have problems because they use old technology.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some have tried it around here with big problems. Causes a algie in the tank and clogs everything up. And will grow in your tank unless treated. Ran some from local station. Filters used to be clean only wet looking, then they went to tar black with a goo on them. Went back to other fuel and after a few filters back to normal. Also used a tank cleaner to be sure it was all out. No more for me. Best diesel fuel out there in our area is Sunoco, Marathon and Country Mark its all the same. Has high C rating and never causes trouble. Gets better fuel milage and Hp.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Zab - thanks for the info.. Any suggestions on what to treat this stuff with?
Might want to check with marine dealers. Algae growing in diesel fuel is a big problem in marine engines, probably because the fuel often sits much longer.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Some have tried it around here with big problems. Causes a algie in the tank and clogs everything up. And will grow in your tank unless treated. Ran some from local station. Filters used to be clean only wet looking, then they went to tar black with a goo on them. Went back to other fuel and after a few filters back to normal. Also used a tank cleaner to be sure it was all out. No more for me. Best diesel fuel out there in our area is Sunoco, Marathon and Country Mark its all the same. Has high C rating and never causes trouble. Gets better fuel milage and Hp.

It caught up to me eventually even though I replaced a couple fuel filters early on. Clogged the mixing bowl strainers up in my tank which led to my fuel pump working overtime - had to take everything apart, clean the screens and bowl, replace the pump. I even treated the fuel with the anti-algae potion. Hopefully, my injectors aren't scratched and worn from lack of fuel.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On the other page in which someone said it killed their injection pump on their 6.5 diesel? That's not due to the bio diesel. the 6.5 gm diesel was one of the top 3 worst diesel engine disasters! ....they were notorious for burning up injection pumps every 25K miles on their own. Has nothing to do with bio fuels.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run 100% WMO in my 7.3 IDI from time to time. Runs the same as diesel and its free.