Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good, been busy with a lot of random busy work. Aerations, overseedings, rock removal/hauling, grading, small 1 day renovations.

How about you.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Good, been busy with a lot of random busy work. Aerations, overseedings, rock removal/hauling, grading, small 1 day renovations.

How about you.
Yeah thats good.glad to hear that nick.ive been good thanks for asking all as usual lol.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. In the other thread in the landscaping forum, you asked for some constructive criticism, so as long as you've dragged me over here to this forum, I might as well take the time to offer a little.

I like the way you've softened the larger open wall spaces on the building. And the way you brought in different sizes and textures. Nice mix of color, deciduous and evergreen. And I like the way you added some curves to the corners, etc. Brings interest into the landscape.

A few things I noticed..... First, do hydrangeas do well in full all day sun there? Because they don't here in Oregon. And I consider ours a pretty mild climate. Usually we try to put them in partial shade here. Seems like some of those areas might be kinda sunny. But then again, I don't know how plants do in your climate.

The other thing I noticed was the use of Juniper. I think there is pretty much a universal dislike for junipers. Most people I know can't stand them and pay us to remove them. IMO, I think another evergreen shrub would be better for that area.

The only other suggestion I have is to place a few large boulders throughout those areas. They don't cost much and make really nice accents for landscapes. Might want to see if that's something that could be worked into the budget.

Good luck! Always nice to get big jobs near the end of the year.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the comments. , sorry for dragging you over here.

The Oak leaf hydrangeas in the pictures are in mostly shade so they should be fitting for the situation.

The Pinky Winky Hydrangeas will get the most sunlight on the section of the building facing to the east. They should be OK though as they don't seem to take the heat stress the same as a traditional Annabelle, or a colorful hydrangea such as the endless summer hydrangea.

The side of the building I'm working on faces the north and the building is positioned for optimal sun exposure on the south side. So ultimately the side I'm working on is going to get the most shading.

I agree about the junipers, and the fact they aren't the most popular plants in the landscape anymore. I looked up and down my supplier sheets to find good evergreens for that side, but couldn't come up with anything that wasn't a Juniper or Yew that was going to give me the height and spread. So ultimately I went for the juniper to get enough height and width to break up that side of the building.

We went through about 4 different designs for that larger side against the gym. They settled on the final image posted above, not my first choice, but theirs non-the less.

Of course being a school budget was a factor, and on top of it they wanted as many hardy plants that weren't going to take a whole lot of effort to keep in shape. Generally I had to choose plants that would hold a good natural shape to them if neglected.

I like the rock idea. When I was on-site marking out the beds, I noticed that there will be a couple of blank spots that will be visible until some of the plants get mature, so the rocks would fill in the voids. I will mention to the contact person on this job, but I have a feeling that they won't want to add anything else to the final bill. I had actually come up with three estimates that included brick edging, and more shade trees around the property. Even thought there wasn't much of a price difference, they wanted to keep it as low as possible.

Another thing too, is that larger Stones are extremely expensive here, only because we don't have an endless supply of them like other regions of the U.S. To put 4-5 large boulders in would cost at least 600- 1000 dollars more. .

Thanks again Jim for the comments, you do some great work and I appreciate the input.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

W.G. what's up buddy? I think the design looks really nice. When do you get started on this project?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
W.G. what's up buddy? I think the design looks really nice. When do you get started on this project?
Doing pretty good man. Can't complain considering the state of the economy. Even though business didn't " Blow Up " like I hoped, it still grew, and I'm more comfortable looking into the future.

Read you post in you thread about the employee situation, too bad it had to go south on you, but at least your getting through this year. Love the FB picture of the kid holding the football.

The project is actually started, I've gotten all the beds marked out and the only thing I'm waiting for is the all clear from the utility companies, which is officially tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. I'll go in today though and scalp the grass in the beds with my trimmer and get them sprayed with roundup. I just plan on tilling the sod over and doing a follow up spraying next spring.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Doing pretty good man. Can't complain considering the state of the economy. Even though business didn't " Blow Up " like I hoped, it still grew, and I'm more comfortable looking into the future.

Read you post in you thread about the employee situation, too bad it had to go south on you, but at least your getting through this year. Love the FB picture of the kid holding the football.

The project is actually started, I've gotten all the beds marked out and the only thing I'm waiting for is the all clear from the utility companies, which is officially tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. I'll go in today though and scalp the grass in the beds with my trimmer and get them sprayed with roundup. I just plan on tilling the sod over and doing a follow up spraying next spring.
Haha thanks about the pic. Glad to hear you were able to start the job, I'll definitely look out for updates!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Beds tilled, 4 yards of ISU compost tilled in, and all dirt was filled in where needed.

Not to shabby. It took a long time to till. I actually started on it yesterday afternoon. About 70% of it tilled good, and the other 30% I had to take a maddox pick to break the compaction so the tiller would work.

All I need to do now is edge the beds for a clean cut and then install the plants. I'll bring the mini in to move the bigger B and B trees and probably dig the holes for those also.

Name:  photo21b.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  237.1 KB

Name:  photo22b.jpg
Size:  308.0 KB

Name:  photo23b.jpg
Size:  236.5 KB

Name:  photo24b.jpg
Size:  230.5 KB

Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last two pics of the evening.

Name:  photo25b.jpg
Size:  258.3 KB

Name:  photo26b.jpg
Size:  284.3 KB

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its lookin good nick.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..