Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2003, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

schedule board

Does anyone have a good system for scheduling work, routes, maint. ect.... I heard someone talking about a magnetic board they posted on the wall and each account was on a magn. strip so if it rained they just moved them to the next day, i'm looking for a system something similar to this that someone has found to work well for them (we are in the process of changing software programs to q-express, which will route itself but we still need a board or something that I have hands -on to work with. Any advice would be appreciated! ( I posted this in elements of business,but got no responce!)
Old 03-09-2003, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Schedule Board

LP

I purchased "Clip" last year and began using it for scheduling. I soon quit due to the fact that I did not have enough confidence in the program. I went back to using a small schedule-program that was windows based. I have increased my accounts dramatically this season and am considering using "Clip" again.

I do like the idea of the magnetic board though. It sounds as if it could be a useful tool for the whole crew to review on a daily basis. Let me know if you find it.

Thanks,

John
Old 03-09-2003, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to a Franklin Planner seminar a couple of years ago which my boss paid for. Didn't know what to expect then, but now I am very glad for it. If you're not familiar with Franklin Planners, they're basically just a small, portable three ring binder geared specifically toward keeping busy people with a lot of commitments organized. The seminar just taught you how to use them efficiently, although that's probably not necessary. You can take them anywhere. You can get a small carrying case for them plus there's slots for your credit cards, etc.

If you have the planner on hand and use it religiously there is virtually no way you can become disorganized. There's room in the planner to schedule several months worth of daily events, plus move them ahead (if you get rained out for example).

I know a real estate developer in my area (also my boss' partner) that uses his constantly. In fact, it gets to be a bit of a game between everyone because one of the guys might say (back in January) "hey remind me at 2:45 p.m. on March 4th that I need to clip my fingernails", or something off the wall like that. Well, you know good and well he's putting the appointment in his book so you better put it in yours or you'll hear about it!

Just key in Franklin Planner as a search word to get to their site. The stuff is a little expensive, but very good once you get in the habit.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This might help you, they're pricey though.
http://www.keysan.com/ksu0568.htm
Old 03-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

I wonder about making something similar to what ksland linked using a sheet of magnetic material, like what they use for magnetic truck signs.

Get a small piece of sheet metal at Hoome Depot, spray paint it white and frame it or just hang it on your wall. Draw a grid on it in any configuration you decide you want.
Take a magnetic sheet and cut it into strips. Write what you want on them (customers names, etc.). And boom, you have your scheduler!

I'm getting signs made up this week actually, I'll ask the guy what it would cost me for a sheet of material just out of curiosity.

The finished product be pretty cheap and only take maybe an hour at the most.

Just a thought.

Last edited by gogetter; 03-09-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

you could also try a 4x8 sheet of that white shower board at home depot. pin stripe tape and dry or wet erase pens ,thats the same thing in class rooms at schools.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Staples sells the magnetic boards as well as large dry erase boards you can pinstripe yourself. Prices range from $30- $200 depending on which type and size you get.