Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
This usually means I'll charge the same rate as a basic lawn mowing to do a full leaf cleanup. I lose a little in profits, but make my customers happy and keeps me busy during the slow season.
Losing a little profit could turn into losing your shirt real quick doing it that way
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Cuts View Post
You're beating a dead horse. Charge by the job b/c no matter what you think 95% of people don't consider lawncare as the same level as plumbers, HVAC, etc (landscaping is a different ballgame where there is more skill involved, but for a spring or fall clean up, forget about it). You might not think so, but that is the reality of it.

This is why you just don't charge by the hour for cleanups. Configure how many hours it will take and charge accordingly.
I am so excited, I thought I was the only one on this site that thought this way.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we sell time...

we sell time...plain and simple...we dont care what it is we are doing...everything gets billed by the hour...as our costs are broken down by the hour as well....its the only way you can have multiple crews all on the same page at the same time...it provides a system (for lack of better words) for all your personnel to go by....we may lose out a little on making a killing on an easy job...but we never ever lose on any job. and yes..our hourly rate differs depending on what the job is...putting down mulch is less than tree trimming...mowing is less than installations..it mainly depends also what equipment is needed...we have a set rate for each piece of equipment used on a job..and all have hour meters...even the small stuff.

Last edited by MR-G; 10-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.