Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Box Trucks - Pros & Cons

All of our lawn crews are running 3/4 ton trucks with 14-16' enclosed trailers.

We are considering switching next season to isuzu box trucks. Some of the main reasons are because I feel it will be easier to drive than a truck/trailer combination, and I expect it will provide an added safety measure when it comes to backing.

We have also noted a significant increase in tire repairs/replacements for our trailers. I figur the typical wear and tear abuse that the trailers are under going will just be transfered to the truck, so Im not really expecting much in the way of damage prevention.

The other reason is the startup cost. I have seen a number of used box trucks with minimal miles for nearly half the price of a comperable truck / trailer.

What sort of additional pros and or cons are there with using these trucks for lawn maintenance?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres some pics of our trucks, and what could be.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

We bought a used 20' box on a chevy W4500 cab over Chassis and we love it. Started with open trailers run our big crew out of it with 1 48 walkbehind and 2 60 ztr. plenty of storage has a full mesh ramp on the back. Turns on a dime and the guys like not having a trailer with them. Also saves space at the shop as all the mowers stay inside.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

box truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfiCut L&L View Post
All of our lawn crews are running 3/4 ton trucks with 14-16' enclosed trailers.

We are considering switching next season to isuzu box trucks. Some of the main reasons are because I feel it will be easier to drive than a truck/trailer combination, and I expect it will provide an added safety measure when it comes to backing.

We have also noted a significant increase in tire repairs/replacements for our trailers. I figur the typical wear and tear abuse that the trailers are under going will just be transfered to the truck, so Im not really expecting much in the way of damage prevention.

The other reason is the startup cost. I have seen a number of used box trucks with minimal miles for nearly half the price of a comperable truck / trailer.

What sort of additional pros and or cons are there with using these trucks for lawn maintenance?
we are thinking of doing the same...the only con that we see is the insurance is more and you lose the ability to haul debris..
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

True you do give up the ability to haul debris and bulk materials. That's why I stepped up to a big tex trailer with 4ft sides. That is a sharp looking truck though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on getting a Landscape truck of some kind next year but I am keeping my long bed
F-150 to haul in. I have saw people take box trucks and add a dovetail to them. My concern is the extra 4ft sticking on the back end.There is a few companies that make a 2ft dovetail and use 7ft gates. I also so a company that makes a fold up style ramp that bolts to the back of a box truck so it doesn't add any to the length.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How are u guys gonna plow????????
No offence you guys all sound pretty fancy w/ your 5 mowing crews! lol
Wouldnt you think backing up with a F250 with trailer is safer?!?!??
Where you can see out the back window???
I recommend some rear view cams!

Now what would be REALLY sweet is a Hook lift system with a box for mowers and stuff then a dump attachment for hauling material.....
this way you could still plow in the winter...
We plow with out isuzu dump truck no problems what so ever we do driveways and commercial stuff with it
Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our lawn crews strictly cut grass when there out. They do pick up trash, but that can be put in a can like they do now. Large debrit gets scheduled and picked up by our landscape crew with a more appropriate vehicle.

We still retain all the other vehicles we own for plowing purposes so thats not so much an issue.

The box trucks will stricly be lawn mowing. Occassional hauling of pallet materials during the winter if need be, but I don't imagine we will need them.

We are planning on either buying or building our own fold down ramp system. A friend of mine has done it on his and it works great. he is adding a tensioner to it to help ease the raising and lowering, since it is a bit heavy. His is constructed as a split ramp, so if the crew can only lowe half of it if thats all they need.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me I have to have a truck that can multi-task so we use Diesel Ram 2500's. It can pull a 16' enclosed or a 16' open for other uses as well. I also love the fact that we can put several yards worth of bags in the back of the truck. The other thing that would worry me about tall box trucks is them ending up damaged or scratched up from all the tree's that tend to hang over the areas we work here. There's are pro's and con's to everything.

Sunterra here in Austin just went to cab over trucks with open bodies. Less issues with damage but the sun is hell here in Texas. Enclosed trailers protect your equipment and keep it out of the rain. All it takes is one good downpour on your equipment and it's a beech to get things to start.