Register free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Too much fescue seed?

I'm in the middle of seeding 2400 Sq feet back yard..

My first aeration & over-seeding was Sept 29th - used a whole 25lb Lesco Transition Blend... ( approx 8lbs seed per 1000 sq ft ).

As of today's date Oct 13 the lawn just looks "OK" - maybe I didn't get good seed coverage in all areas - and let me not start on these freaking birds who just seems to know whats under all that fresh wheat straw!!

About 75-80% came up - i have 2 sections that didn't come up but there was grass there BEFORE I rounded up the lawn & over-seeding so I know grass CAN grow in these sections. Plus in some bare section I got grass growing ONLY IN the holes made by the core aerator...

I'm thinking about doing ANOTHER 25lb bag of seed - just to fill in every space of dirt I can see!!!! that would mean i got about 16 lbs of seed down per 1000 sq feet.

IS THERE A SUCH THING AS " TOO MUCH " SEED? and if so WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF I PUT DOWN TOO MUCH SEED...?

I used Lesco starter fertilizer back on Sept 28th - can I get away adding some more but this time just at HALF THE RECOMMENDED APPLICATION RATE?

What do you think about my plans?

Tags
fertilizer , fescue , overseed , seed