Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
so you went scag huh, it is nice machine, but lots of things i did not like about it. good luck, and the accelerator baggers are the only way to go!
G. what is your like/dislike?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,777
i did not like the knee pad, although i know it can be adjsuted, if felt like it pushed you back too far if that makes sense. i have a size 12 ft and i need that room!! also, the odd combination of starting and shutting down process. i cant remember now, but it was not natural at all and different from like every other mower. it did hower seem to hold the small hill i took it on well, but i have no idea about a serious incline and doubt it. the front end is long to accomodate the velocity deck, which it has to be, but because of this it is easier to scalp with any scag due to the wheel base to work with such a deep length deck.

i do however like the controls on the Vride much better than the grandstands, but the wrights are the best but could use a bit more padding
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
Do you guys have any trouble with your hands getting tired on the V-Ride? I demoed one the other day and after an hour, my hands were quite tired. Now, I am used to using my Stander for 8+ hours a day and so one hour on the V-Ride should have been easy. I think that it has to do with the controls being so close to your body instead of forward more.

What has your experience been?
I demoed it for about a week and half and only used it for a day since I just bought it but I haven't had that problem. If anything my calves and hammies are a little tight after using it Wednesday all day but I'm sure that's because my legs just aren't used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post


if praising it - all you want to hear wan to hear ... -

here's your major and following flaws:

"After just a few days I took the 80 lbs of weight bolted under the front of the mower, the big pad, and the fold down platform extension.
...
I just wish the operating controls were pushed forward about 8" so the operators weight could be forward of the axle area a little bit more....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=56


looks like it's not a "a VERY good engineered standon:" after all?
inability to balance it right from the beginning - adding and carrying a dead weight, far from COG - would turn me off from the start

but well, if praise scag engineers - your way to go... good, may be next time they'll add you more dead weight...
Did you read the last line of in the link that you provided? Despite a few minor problems(in his opinion) he still thinks it is the best stand on! "Scag was pretty slow getting to the stand on party but they might just have the best machine."

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
can someone answer?
Here was my answer about the hills....I don't have any really huge hills to worry about, but I have a few slopes that my Z or my Navigator always slip on and the V-Ride handled it like a pro. I made sure to use it on those lawns to see the difference and it was 10 times better than my other mowers. Hopefully someone that deals with some bigger hills will have some better input.

Maybe no one else has that much experience with huge hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i did not like the knee pad, although i know it can be adjsuted, if felt like it pushed you back too far if that makes sense. i have a size 12 ft and i need that room!! also, the odd combination of starting and shutting down process. i cant remember now, but it was not natural at all and different from like every other mower. it did hower seem to hold the small hill i took it on well, but i have no idea about a serious incline and doubt it. the front end is long to accomodate the velocity deck, which it has to be, but because of this it is easier to scalp with any scag due to the wheel base to work with such a deep length deck.

i do however like the controls on the Vride much better than the grandstands, but the wrights are the best but could use a bit more padding
Grassman--That's funny. I find myself barely even touching the knee pad. I definitely agree about the startup procedure. I didn't even think about it until you said it. It definitely is unnatural. I'm thinking over time I'll get used to it, but i agree it is very weird! Some of my "terrain" is very uneven but I would say most of it is relatively flat. I haven't seen any scalping issues at all. I cut mostly fescue and bluegrass if that matters. What are you cutting?
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
PTP PTP is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
can someone answer?
When I demoed the Scag, I specifically took it on some fairly steep hills. It held them well. It did not hold them as good as my Wright did (I tried it just after) but it did do well. I don't think anything can top the Wright - regular machines that is.

I also didn't like the fact with the Scag that the controls were so near to your body. I like them out a bit so that your hands don't tire so quickly. Also, with the controls so near, you don't have much leverage if you hit something and stop quickly. They put the handles right on level with my pubic bone and I am not really excited about that sort of feeling.
__________________
The trouble with trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C. S. Lewis

Soli Deo Gloria
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,777
we cut fescue and bluegrass too, but developers love to make berms and stupid hadr to mow drainage areas that the vride 52in just like you have does poorly on, i know as my competitor does the same Hoa i did for years (cheap prices) and it is not very pretty using the same scag you have compared to our wright standers hugging the terrian better for a smoother cut.

the velicity deck however is a fav or mine for cut quality and clipping dispersal
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we cut fescue and bluegrass too, but developers love to make berms and stupid hadr to mow drainage areas that the vride 52in just like you have does poorly on, i know as my competitor does the same Hoa i did for years (cheap prices) and it is not very pretty using the same scag you have compared to our wright standers hugging the terrian better for a smoother cut.

the velicity deck however is a fav or mine for cut quality and clipping dispersal
I understand your point! I love the clipping dispersal too...
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i did not like the knee pad, although i know it can be adjsuted, if felt like it pushed you back too far if that makes sense. i have a size 12 ft and i need that room!! also, the odd combination of starting and shutting down process. i cant remember now, but it was not natural at all and different from like every other mower. it did hower seem to hold the small hill i took it on well, but i have no idea about a serious incline and doubt it. the front end is long to accomodate the velocity deck, which it has to be, but because of this it is easier to scalp with any scag due to the wheel base to work with such a deep length deck.

i do however like the controls on the Vride much better than the grandstands, but the wrights are the best but could use a bit more padding
on toro grandstand (and exmark) standing position even farther back (sentar sitting position too) - so, how scag in comparison;
also - how forward position on feris evo feels compare to all above?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
regl regl is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northwestern, CT
Posts: 47
I like standing better than sitting most of the time. For years I've been using a tthp with pro-slide. It works great for me because I can ride or, when needed, step off and walk. My question about the standers is, can you step off and walk behind them?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
When I demoed the Scag, I specifically took it on some fairly steep hills. It held them well. It did not hold them as good as my Wright did (I tried it just after) but it did do well. I don't think anything can top the Wright - regular machines that is.

I also didn't like the fact with the Scag that the controls were so near to your body. I like them out a bit so that your hands don't tire so quickly. Also, with the controls so near, you don't have much leverage if you hit something and stop quickly. They put the handles right on level with my pubic bone and I am not really excited about that sort of feeling.
what was differences exactly in holding hill? (lets just try to find out)

tire size, mower weight, hp, deck size - comparable? (traction on tires about the same)?

when it start go nose down - which machine easier to straighten up bask?
simple test for hillside stability: which one have more traction on tires (and control) going uphill backwards? (or which one will loose traction first?)
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
"Faster turns" - is it size matter or does same size(weight) ztr would turn slower than stendon? does sitting or standing makes the difference?

----------
how scag compares to other standons and riders in regard of turf damage on turns? (u-turns, pivot,3-point turns, etc)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.08021 seconds with 10 queries