Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Comments / advice on pondless waterfall

Here is some pictures of my first pondless waterfall, that I installed in my backyard this summer. Looking for comments and advice on anything that you guys would change, there is a few things I would do differently on my next one. I am also looking for advice on bidding, this is something I am considering starting to do for a living. So any tips on bidding you guys have would be great, like figuring out how much rock to order? What hourly rate your using, And are you guys including electrical in your bids if it needs to be closer?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Overall it looks great for your first pondless.. You seem to have the basics down. In pic 4your stone is the same size around the edges, make sure u vary those in the future. Also like you my first ponds many many years ago.. man i feel old lol... I use to use flat slat stone as well to create the waterfall drops in round stone waterfalls. It was the easiest way to do it. However that is not very natural looking and the goal for everybody is to create their as natural as possible. When you select your stone look for vartions in a rock and picture how water will run off it. Sometimes it may be one rock or it might several rocks togther that give you that natural look. I myself piss my workers off constantly cause i hand pick stone to create our waterfalls and then i make them move them around constantly until i can see it in head that it will work lol... Creating waterfalls is the hardest thing to do in building a great pond and its something that takes years of time, patience and practice. You seem to have the skill set so just tweek your approach and you should have no problem in your area securing jobs. Great job!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Overall it looks great for your first pondless.. You seem to have the basics down. In pic 4your stone is the same size around the edges, make sure u vary those in the future. Also like you my first ponds many many years ago.. man i feel old lol... I use to use flat slat stone as well to create the waterfall drops in round stone waterfalls. It was the easiest way to do it. However that is not very natural looking and the goal for everybody is to create their as natural as possible. When you select your stone look for vartions in a rock and picture how water will run off it. Sometimes it may be one rock or it might several rocks togther that give you that natural look. I myself piss my workers off constantly cause i hand pick stone to create our waterfalls and then i make them move them around constantly until i can see it in head that it will work lol... Creating waterfalls is the hardest thing to do in building a great pond and its something that takes years of time, patience and practice. You seem to have the skill set so just tweek your approach and you should have no problem in your area securing jobs. Great job!
Great minds always think alike! That is exactly what I was going to post.

In answer to your other questions:

Making a living SOLELY from Water Features is prolly going to be next to impossible as a beginner in the trade. The market is just not usually that large on a local level. Not to mention competitors in your area, both professional and 'truck-slammers'. Don't give up your Day Job.

Until you are established with several projects under your belt, you will prolly need to charge a 'bare bones' hourly rate. As your experience and knowledge grows, you can increase your rates.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Umm what they said! I've been playing with ponds for over 5 years now and I still have much to learn myself. The name is geared toward water features but we still do lawn maintenance, pavers, walls, patio's etc. They all tend to tie each other together with a great one stop shop in our case. I get bored easy so I like building many different types of hard/landscapes.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I can't give you any advise, but you asked for comments and
here's mine...It looks wonderful. congratulations on
a job well done.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies! I was not planning on doing this solely for a living just adding it to the things I already do.
I have a question about the natural looking part though, do you guys never have clients that ask for the flat stone falls? I mean is it really everyones goal to have a completely natural looking water feature? ( I was not offended by the comment, just a question)
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinRenovation View Post
I have a question about the natural looking part though, do you guys never have clients that ask for the flat stone falls? I mean is it really everyones goal to have a completely natural looking water feature?
It should be everyone's (contractors') goal to provide what the customer asks for. What happens, however, is when you question the client they usually cannot specify what type of waterfall they would like. This prompts the next question as to whether it should be natural in appearance or more on the formal side. I always recommend to my clients (If they want natural) that they 'Google' waterfall images and pick out what is appealing to them. It is then up to me to attempt to duplicate their choice, if possible. Budgetary constraints may prevent this.

One other consideration in constructing a natural appearing water feature is to design it to blend in with the surrounding landscape. You want for it to appear as a pre-existing part of the total picture, not an add-on.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

First pondless

For a first time water feature it is really pretty decent, better than some guys that've installed them for years. One of the things I would do differently is to use flat top boulders for the falls. Have many times have you seen flagstone falls in the wild?

The other two biggies is changing the width of the stream, wide to narrow back to wider and have lots of twists and turns if possible.

Oh, the last item, try to have the water flow across the gravel at the bottom before disappearing. Use a piece of scrap liner on top of the Aquablox to make the water flow. I like to make it look as tho the water is going underneath a large boulder.