Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Automatic Water Fill for Pond less Feature

I've recently finished building my own pond less water feature and it seems that there has got to be a more efficient way to keeping the water level at a consistent height.

Currently: teed a 1/2" line off of a sprinkler station that runs to an automatic float to fill the water until it reaches the desired level. The problem is that the sprinkler station does not run long/frequent enough (45 minutes) to keep it full and I'm having to run a garden hose each week to top it off. I understand the water loss with splashing and evaporation but it's losing a lot.

Now that winter is arriving and the sprinkler system getting blown out; I've been wondering how professionals feed the system during winter months (year round for that matter) so that they're not having to run a hose etc....

My forward thinking is telling me that I'll probably have to bury a new sprinkler line as an independent source.....

How do you professionals handle this???!!! Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have to run a constant water source independent of a irrigation valve. We always pulled that line after the V/B but prior to the valves.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

So does that mean that I'd T into the main water supply line just before the valves....assuming v/b is the valve box?

Is there an affordable hardware piece to use to cut off the constant water supply?

If the sprinkler lines get blown out; would I essentially install a ball valve/shut off so that water does not go past this constant supply line to the valves?

Thanks AzG!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you would tee in before the irrigation valves and install a ball valve on the supply line to the auto-fill.

You can find a meter valve cut off tool at most big box stores like HD or Lowes.

If you are losing as much water as you indicate, it sounds like you may have a small leak somewhere in the waterfalls and/or stream. I wouldn't think that evap rates in the Pacific Northwest would be very high.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Here's some pictures! There's things I learned and would have done differently but am pretty happy with the end result.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Yes, you would tee in before the irrigation valves and install a ball valve on the supply line to the auto-fill.

You can find a meter valve cut off tool at most big box stores like HD or Lowes.

If you are losing as much water as you indicate, it sounds like you may have a small leak somewhere in the waterfalls and/or stream. I wouldn't think that evap rates in the Pacific Northwest would be very high.
If the pump isn't running the water will hold. Perhaps it's just the accumulation of so many splashes. There's a total of 6 drops and the bottom drop is about 2 feet so I'm very confident it's not from a leak. Just gets kind of old having to drag a hose all the time. I like the idea of installing a constant line but I'll probably pull the pump when ice starts getting close and drain the water.

So if I cut into the main line; could I just take a 1" reducer to a 1/4 or 1/2 inch line and use my auto fill float valve I have now and not have to worry about buying more parts with the exception of line?

Would I have to discharge the constant line as well and can this be done after the sprinklers are blown out? I'm imagining the answer is yet as the ball valve to the valve box would be off.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefc View Post
If the pump isn't running the water will hold. Perhaps it's just the accumulation of so many splashes. There's a total of 6 drops and the bottom drop is about 2 feet so I'm very confident it's not from a leak. Just gets kind of old having to drag a hose all the time. I like the idea of installing a constant line but I'll probably pull the pump when ice starts getting close and drain the water. You will be able to tell how much water you are losing by the increase in your water bill.

So if I cut into the main line; could I just take a 1" reducer to a 1/4 or 1/2 inch line and use my auto fill float valve I have now and not have to worry about buying more parts with the exception of line? Don't see why not.

Would I have to discharge the constant line as well and can this be done after the sprinklers are blown out? I'm imagining the answer is yet as the ball valve to the valve box would be off.
Check with your irrigation man when you have the blow-out done.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Check with your irrigation man when you have the blow-out done.
Thanks TAdpole. I'll do that. It's too hard to gauge with the water bill since I started lowing heavy heavy fertilizer and doubled the amount I was watering in the past.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefc View Post

Nice! I like it.