Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf Composting

Maybe someone from the south can offer suggestions. Here's the scenario:
Live Oaks drop their leaves mainly in the spring just BEFORE green up begins. There's also a variety that drop their leaves in the fall. We have always rakes, picked up the leaves and taken them to the landfill. This has always bothered me personally. I'm wondering if a mulching mower with a mulching blade would cut the leaves fine enough to return them to the lawn. Coastal soil is way to alkaline anyway and a little acid from the leaves would benefit the soil. This would have to be done as the leaves drop in the spring. Another problem is that mulching mowers pull up a significant amount of dirt if leaves were bagged. This way it would be returned to the soil.
Anyone have any insight ass to a mulching mower that would do this? I have a 21" mulching Snapper but not a Gator Blade or mulching blade. Or, any other person dealing with Live Oak Leaves have any other suggestions.
For yankees and those who are not familiar with Live Oak leaves--They are small and looks similiar to holly leaves. They are hard with a prickly edge and fall in the spring when new leaves push them off. A major pain in the butt.
Any suggestions? We have vacuumed them with a big Snapper and bagger but that was against my grain. They do make great mulch for beds, azaleas, and small specimen plants. These leaves do not blow very well, so that is not a real option.