Register free!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pretty good handle on basic electrical stuff. I have never looked into UPB or RF. I don't even know what they are.

Needless to say, I haven't the foggiest idea what a phase coupler is. Any basic explanations forthcoming?

Now y'all know why I was initially going with the controller, relays, setup. Basic stuff I can understand.

Looks like I will be studying a bit this winter as to the new (at least new to me) remote stuff out there.

Appreciate the assist.

John
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start here - http://www.controlscape.net/products...gory=timeClock. This is the basic stuff but scales to this if you one day decide you want it - http://www.myambience.com/.

240V power is delivered as 2 seperate 120V phases. If you have a device on phase 1 and the controller is on phase 2, they won't be able to communicate without a phase coupler to tie them together. UPB in a typical home will usually be able to overcome that but X10 will definitely not. The phase couplers are only @ $50ish so there really isn't any good reason not to get one and install it. It does mean going into the panel though.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks BCG.

I understand a lot more now than before. Who is your preferred vendor of the Controlscape stuff? (If you have one.) Can I buy direct?

Thanks for the assist.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually buy it from Florida Outdoor Lighting or NightScenes. They will sell direct as well, I guess I should start doing that, I just haven't needed enough of it yet for it to seem worth getting setup to buy direct.

Any UPB outlets/relays/switches will work with this stuff, btw. UPB is universal. There are even some open source Linux based control servers but they still look like a lot of work to get setup compared to the commercial offerings.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I usually buy it from Florida Outdoor Lighting or NightScenes. They will sell direct as well, I guess I should start doing that, I just haven't needed enough of it yet for it to seem worth getting setup to buy direct.

Any UPB outlets/relays/switches will work with this stuff, btw. UPB is universal. There are even some open source Linux based control servers but they still look like a lot of work to get setup compared to the commercial offerings.
You need to look at simply automated. They have the most versatile line of UPB products on the market .... including free PC control software. The stuff isn't cheap, but the flexibility is unmatched by any other UPB manufacturer I have seen. This is the stuff I am putting into my house.

http://www.simply-automated.com/
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The house with the power relays in the cellar made me think of another sort of control circuit I've only seen once at a customer's home. It allowed a switch in the house to control a circuit in a pool shed, but with no line voltage connecting the two. Not only no line voltage, but no actual stepped-down voltage for relay powering either. Instead, a tiny transformer/relay in the pool house has something like a separate winding that is either left open, or is shorted, by way of the switch in the house. The action on the secondary winding makes enough of a magnetic difference to switch the power in the pool house, and the control wire doesn't see enough voltage or power for it to be any sort of code issue.