Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Running serial numbers on used equipment helpppp please!!!!

So someone just may have opened my eyes to something I never thought of. I am in the market for a used walk behind, and honestly, I was planning to buy one through someone selling theirs locally, not a shop. I figured either through here, or craigslist I would find the item of my liking, negotiate a price, pay cash, and walk away (drive away) with the mower.

Someone responding to one of my last posts suggested running serial numbers, to make sure there were no leins on the mower, it was paid off, not stolen, etc.

Have any of you done that when you purchased a machine used? how would I even do that? it seems like so much effort. would I ask for the serial numbers when negotiating before even seeing the equipment???

any help here would be most appeciated.

Rich
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure you can get the serial #, call the police,the FBI etc. It's a used lawn mower. Maybe I'm venting a bit. I turn over equipment at less than 2 yrs to keep everything in warranty. Needless to say I sell a lot of almost new, very nice stuff. I'm also a maintenance fanatic. The stuff always goes fast at a fair price but honestly Homeowners drive me nuts (the tire kicking, the crazy ?'s, returning stuff a week later, the himming and hawing etc. Never a problem with someone in the industry (a pro). Homeowners should really stick to new stuff. Also they can't recognize a slickster when they see one. There are so many unethical sellers out there. Go to a shop get a warranty and be happy.:drinkup
PS there is a good dealer in your area w/good prices call him 845-356-3330 Pomona Mower
Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not looking to do anything except pay cash and walk away and never bother the seller again.

I may not be in the business, but I am not the typical "homeowner"

I am merely stating what someone wrote to me in response to one of my threads, and I was questioning whether it was reasonable.

If it is not the "norm" to ask for serial numbers, then I wont. This is the only way for me to find out, though.

Thanks for the pomona listing.

R
Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
Sure you can get the serial #, call the police,the FBI etc. It's a used lawn mower. Maybe I'm venting a bit. I turn over equipment at less than 2 yrs to keep everything in warranty. Needless to say I sell a lot of almost new, very nice stuff. I'm also a maintenance fanatic. The stuff always goes fast at a fair price but honestly Homeowners drive me nuts (the tire kicking, the crazy ?'s, returning stuff a week later, the himming and hawing etc. Never a problem with someone in the industry (a pro). Homeowners should really stick to new stuff. Also they can't recognize a slickster when they see one. There are so many unethical sellers out there. Go to a shop get a warranty and be happy.:drinkup
PS there is a good dealer in your area w/good prices call him 845-356-3330 Pomona Mower

Buy a lawn solutions aerator, let me know when you get ready to sell it!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

"Have any of you done that when you purchased a machine used? how would I even do that? it seems like so much effort. would I ask for the serial numbers when negotiating before even seeing the equipment???"

I've purchased several high value items on Craigs List, Never had a problem. Get a Bill of Sale with the serial # written on it if you buy. I seriously doubt you could track down any liens on mowers. Now if the guy selling a mower wanted to meet you in a parking lot (not at his residence) & sell you a mower, I'd say the chances are it would be a stolen item. Plenty of good deals out there on CL these days.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You probably won't be able to find out if there are liens on a mower. Typically financing for power equipment is an unsecured/signature/revolving credit. That is, a person is given the credit and the item being bought is not considered collateral (like with a house or car). If somebody sells you a mower that they still owe money on, it is on them. Just like if you buy a used TV that somebody bought with a credit card. If the original purchaser fails to pay their bill, that has nothing to do with you.

As far as buying potentially stolen merchandise, It is pretty much up to you to determine if the seller is shady or not. AFIK there is no national database for stolen items. If you have a contact at your local police dept you might get somebody to check for you, but if that item was stolen somewhere else...

Tags
exmark , scag , serial , used mower