Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer Z, JD Pro 900 Mulch on Demand, Hustler Super Z

I'm looking at these three mowers and I will say that I never even considered getting a John Deere until they built a brand new office which I believe is one of the biggest near my home. With that said I've had friends in the business tell me the stamped decks are junk that I should go with Hustler or Exmark. I honestly like Exmark alot think they stripe and mow nice but I also like my friends Super Z's. Anyway I'm looking for feedback on these 3 mowers. I know it's beating a dead horse and I did search other threads it's just these mulch on demand has thinking.

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Lawn Care View Post
I'm looking at these three mowers and I will say that I never even considered getting a John Deere until they built a brand new office which I believe is one of the biggest near my home. With that said I've had friends in the business tell me the stamped decks are junk that I should go with Hustler or Exmark. I honestly like Exmark alot think they stripe and mow nice but I also like my friends Super Z's. Anyway I'm looking for feedback on these 3 mowers. I know it's beating a dead horse and I did search other threads it's just these mulch on demand has thinking.

Thanks,
Unless your friends are talking about John Deere stamped decks on the residential mowers, I don't know where they get that? I don't know myself about the residential mower decks but I know the stamped decks on the JD commercial equipment is not junk. The 7 Iron deck is known as the best deck in the business. It is stamped out of 7 gauge steel. And everyone I have heard from on here loves the MOD.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeereZman View Post
Unless your friends are talking about John Deere stamped decks on the residential mowers, I don't know where they get that? I don't know myself about the residential mower decks but I know the stamped decks on the JD commercial equipment is not junk. The 7 Iron deck is known as the best deck in the business. It is stamped out of 7 gauge steel. And everyone I have heard from on here loves the MOD.
I've read a lot about the 7 iron deck but heard they bend and cave easy. I don't know that's why I'm asking. I don't know much about JD ZTR's
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 7 iron deck is one of the finest decks out in the field. I have hit all sort of stuff and the deck has never been damaged. It leaves an awesum cut with no stringers.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere Z925A with the mulch on demand system. I love the machine. The deck is in no way flimsy or has bent. I hit stuff head on, from the side and in the back and it is still strong...the paint hasn't even chipped. I did a ton a research before i bought mine and i narrowed it between the JD, eXmark and scag and after all the demos and options etc, etc, i went with the JD and am pleased with the decision. I did a whole review in the John Deere Z925a post but the biggest deciding factor for me was the motor. I don't catch grass really so side discharge was really important...the JD has a 27hp motor instead of the 21 or 22 offered by others. And the grass f***ing flys.

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your friend is feeding you a line of crap. I have owned 3 deere's with the 7iron and I have slammed, hit, hammerered everything imaginable and they did not bend nor crack a bit. Never had any rust or any problems at all with them.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got over 140 hours on my Z925A MOD. I have loved every minute of using this mower. The 7-iron decks are not flimsy in the least...they are quite strong and can take the abuse of commercial mowing. They leave a great cut and tend to clump less than other decks.

I highly recommend the John Deere 900 series.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lazer is a good finish mower, the Super z is fast, not impressed with the cut and the Deere is the all around best mower I'v ran to date. the cut is where the Deere excels and as long as others have fabricated decks, it always will. Nothing wrong with the 7 Iron stamped deck.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I've got over 140 hours on my Z925A MOD. I have loved every minute of using this mower. The 7-iron decks are not flimsy in the least...they are quite strong and can take the abuse of commercial mowing. They leave a great cut and tend to clump less than other decks.

I highly recommend the John Deere 900 series.
just what he said, execpt i have the Z920A (no MOD). I am using the chute blocker and mulching blades.
52" Great Dane Chariot 25HP Kohler
44" Toro Proline W/B 15HP Kohler Single Wheel Velke
22" John Deere JS36 7HP Briggs
Stihl BR380 BR600 MAG
Stihl FS110R Trimmer
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl HL100K Ext Hedger
Stihl HS80 180 deg 24" Hedger
Stihl FC75 Edger
Stihl MM55 Cultivator
Stihl 018C,036 Saws
Trimmer Trap Lock Downs
Peco Vac.System 6HP Kohler
Toro,Gator Rator & Classen Pluggers

Solo Operater
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I beat the garbage out of our mowers. Exmarks don't cut it. Their pumps and wheel motors are trash. Went through 5 ZTRs and all were junk. Switched to 100% Deere last year and have 0 complaints. Stamped deck? It's like 1/2" - 3/4" thick? No way are you going to crack that. I can't say enough good things about JD and their dealer support. The whole deal is 100%.. I was going to go out of business running Exmark ZTR. Their walk behinds aren't too bad they just cut like trash.

Tags
exmark , hustler , john deer , scag