Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

service magic and service master

ok, so I got a lead from service magic.com saturday at 4pm, was in a meeting , and called them back at about 530. lead was for a lady, not a guy, but got message from a guy that apparently owns the local "servicemaster" franchise company, or water restoration company. I remember folks last year talking about service master doing christmas lights, so I googled it, and sure enough, thier website has pictures from Brite Ideas Inc. but when you click on the product catalog link, it takes you to Holiday Bright Lights catalog online. This is on thier corporate website in Memphis TN, and after talking to HBL, Servicemaster does have a membership there, but not a franchise wide system for all franchisee's.

So I call back the unreturned message on sunday, and left another message, nice, saying that I had not heard back from them, but I thought that some service master franchises did do christmas lights, and I would be happy to discuss my pricing with them if they were doing market research. No returned call.

I call them back this morning, again a message ( how do they get thier own customers if they never answer the phone? ) and mentioned that I got them as a lead from service magic, and please call back even if they are not interested, and I mentioned that I pay 20 bucks for each service magic lead and I need to call service magic and get a credit if they are not interested.

so somehow they leave me a message this morning said they already hired someone. phone never rang. I was going to let it go until I booked another appointment later this morning and noticed the same name with a different phone number is already booked with me at 6pm tomorrow night. I call it, another message, same guy.

So I call service magic to not get charged for the lead as it appears they are going to become a competitor and just doing market research. They said that they would call the original lead and confirm that with them and I would be credited. All they have to say is they hired someone else and I have to pay for the lead. which they may have,. but it just does not feel right at all.

so whether they are a potential competitor or not, along with this colossal waste of my time is my awareness on Service Magic.com that there is now 4 people that get the same Christmas light lead when someone requests a bid. So 2-3 years ago I was the only christmas light guy, last year there was 2 of us, and now there are 4. but the price that you pay for the lead, even though you are now competing with 3 other guys, is the same. so service magic makes 80 bucks per lead. but I am far less likely to close that job. even when there was only 2 of us on there, I only closed probably 1 out of 4 leads I got from service magic last year. I probably got 8-9 leads. so 2 jobs may be worth it to pay 200 bucks for leads. but after this year, I will reevaluate whether I reccomend service magic or not.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

staples?.......
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat with them last year Dave. 9 leads I thought WOW. Same wild goose chase, then got told the same thing. Funny thing I was the only guy on there.

After doing battle with them, politely told them what they could do with the membership. Has even gone that way with landscaping, thinking differently possibly about it in the Spring as I want to really turn up the landscape lighting end.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor