Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

group rates...ugh

Well,
were I used to hang I never went through such a conglomeration.

Seems to be the norm here, as all I'm getting today is______

if we could get an estimate or group rate there would probably be several other homeowners in this area that would want these services as well.

...ugh
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i really dont see that as a problem, give them a group rate the more ppl they get together in the same neighborhood give them a little off, less driving more work. doesnt mean you have to give it to them for free or large discounts
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I havent gotten that for lighting, I get it ALL the time for our lawn services.

I figured it wouldn't be a problem, but they neighbors need to sign up first and THEN I will consider a discount. I learned my lesson after giving a discount to a homeowner under the assumption that his 4 other neighbors would sign up. Guess what, not one of the others signed up, matter of fact they didnt know what I was talking about when I knocked on their doors.

It is usually just someone looking for a better deal. Give that person a referral discount IF the referral signs up. That is all a 1 time discount.

I am sure they are thinking that you are hungry for work because of the economy and the fact that you are new the service is a novelty so therefore you should be willing to give it away for the exposure and the chance to get more work that you should be willing to give away.

I still get calls the week of Thanksgiving and the person on the other end cant understand why we cant get there the next day, I have actually been asked "how busy can you be, it's only Christmas lights"
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have often thought that there are POA's out there with around a hundred houses or so, and if they were 2500 square feet or so each, and if you could get 400 per house for the front face only, and do them all in clear c-9's with a few twinkle bulbs on each house to hide the burned out bulbs, there might be something there. The first year would be a doozy as far as cost, but once you had them all done, there would be some good money there.

but like all things, a blessing can become a curse. If I have learned anything in the last few years is enjoy the money from the big customers, but continue to grow your business with lots of perfect size customers rather than a few big ones. The perfect sized customer is either one that can be done in one day with 2 guys, or one that 2 guys can do in a half a day. Any customer that takes 2 days or more just has the potential to hurt you when they are no longer a customer.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

That idea is great , but I would think it would be difficult to get everyone to go along with a clear c-good, there is going to be the few that would want to be different and make it impossible or would look silly. The idea of the twinkle bulbs is brilliant though.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done lots of homes. This type of client is one to have a lifestyle of having their parties catered. The design of course would be nice straight white applied to everything.
As far as twinkling, the small ornamentals will have that affect loaded with mini's.

discounts?...umm no.
Altough I'm thinking if they would be a repeat customer, then next year recieve 10% off.

I'm solo and won't waste my time with penny pinchers.
I think they're lucky, because I could include a fruitcake instead of 10%
off next season.

These side by sides are huge for square footage, but they'll only want front roof lines, windows and ornamental shrubs lit up.
I'd love to do the lawn stakes down the drives but there's going to be someone else doing the snow plowing. Trusting those guys to be careful with christmas lights is probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
Attached Images

Last edited by unit28; 11-11-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also thanks for the comments!