Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Not sure about the LS walk-behind unit yet, cuz we're currently only pulling 1 - 1 1/2 inch plugs with all four weights in place. My guys take the TURFCO walk-behinds out everyday and leave the LS walk-behind aerator in the shop. Not sure what's going on there, but I let my guys pick & choose. Go figure. Heck -- we're still using a twenty-year-old Ryan walk-behind......seems they were better built compared to what Ryan offers nowadays.

Our 2 cents
Thanks AmericanLawn. You seem to be one of very few people that don't like the quality of the LS walk behind plugs. Have asked for any feedback from LS as to why this might be happening? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
We don't need no videos to know what the LS ride-on aerator can do. David was kind enough to visit us on several occasions and allow us to demo it. It is awesome! Actually one of a kind. Nobody else offers such a unit. We are still considering the LS ride-on in the future.

Reasons:

1) you can run a one-man aeration crew instead of two (except for small gates/backyards)

2) the plug depth is awesome (adjustable for hard ground like we currently have)

3) the quality/durability of the machine appears to be high quality (especially regarding the new pumps & high quality chains)

Not sure about the LS walk-behind unit yet, cuz we're currently only pulling 1 - 1 1/2 inch plugs with all four weights in place. My guys take the TURFCO walk-behinds out everyday and leave the LS walk-behind aerator in the shop. Not sure what's going on there, but I let my guys pick & choose. Go figure. Heck -- we're still using a twenty-year-old Ryan walk-behind......seems they were better built compared to what Ryan offers nowadays.

Our 2 cents
The TA21 aerator is new to me and was pulling plugs that were 1-1 1/2" as well. Adjusted the stops all the way up which should have allowed the tines to go deeper but while using it, the wheel brackets rarely went up to the stops anymore .It was like it couldn't get more penetration.I tried adding more weights over the tine but didn't change core depth.I will say the depth of the holes is deeper then the cores show, but some cust. want to see plugs.
BTW I fired up the old classen and on the same ground ripped out 3"plugs just to make sure it was the unit and not the ground.Wonder if David has any suggestions?I will investigate more in a couple of days when I get freed up.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennc38 View Post
Exactly! Everyone's talking about how great this thing is, but I've yet to see any quality videos. Maybe their marketing team needs a redesign too? lol
Don't know how to move a file. Go to page 3 on this form there is a video where David introduced the dual hydro.

I demoed it at GIE show nice mech. The hydro controls are a bit touchy compared to the ride on aerator. The handles are to short for me to run the sulky and i am only 5-9.David said they were going to make the handles a little longer. But after running it several times i like it better than front wheel drive ones.

Charles Cue
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
It seems all the chains could be the down fall of the Lawn Solutions machines. The chains look heavy duty, but they look like they are going to get packed with mud.
what happens if you kick up a large stick, the belt pops off under my z spray once in a while if a stick goes between the belt and pulley.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2320 View Post
Lawn Solutions,

How do you come up with your down pressure numbers. I'm no engineer but how do you get 400lbs of DP on a machine that doesn't weigh 400lbs? Wouldn't you need the machine itself to have a balanced weight of more than the down pressure a cylinder can create?

In theory, if the machine weighed less than the DP available, and the soil was dry, wouldnt it lift the machine upwards?
Since you never got an answer, maybe they're re-calculating? I agree, I don't see how a machine can exert more downward pressure than the weight of the machine itself, unless they're referring to a dynamic force as opposed to a static one. Also, even if the machine did weight 400 lbs, all of that force will not be on the tines alone as some of it will be distributed over the tires as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennc38 View Post
Since you never got an answer, maybe they're re-calculating? I agree, I don't see how a machine can exert more downward pressure than the weight of the machine itself, unless they're referring to a dynamic force as opposed to a static one. Also, even if the machine did weight 400 lbs, all of that force will not be on the tines alone as some of it will be distributed over the tires as well.
Eh, they are probably referring to the power or capability rating of the hydraulic cylinder itself. It was really kind of an unfair trick question anyhow. But simply claiming 400lbs of down force is a tad misleading.

Obviously it would matter what you are trying to aerate too. Dry clay, moist sand or 6 inches of feathers. I.E The resistance component.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Sponsor

I have been out traveling around the U.S. and out of the coutry following up on leads from the EXPO.

With the additional weight kit it adds another 70 lbs over the tines. The unit comes in around ~340 lbs if I remember with just 1 weight. With the weights the unit is over the 400 lbs and when you watch it run all the weight is over the tines since you can see the front tire barely touch the ground while aerating.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnSolutionsCP View Post
I have been out traveling around the U.S. and out of the coutry following up on leads from the EXPO.

With the additional weight kit it adds another 70 lbs over the tines. The unit comes in around ~340 lbs if I remember with just 1 weight. With the weights the unit is over the 400 lbs and when you watch it run all the weight is over the tines since you can see the front tire barely touch the ground while aerating.
As David points out, I have the 21' single hydro and when aerating the front end is typically off the ground so all the weight is carried by the tines.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

David, what attachments are you planning for the spring on the rider? i am ready to pull the trigger on a LT Rich Z Aerator, seeder, etc
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin16856 View Post
David, what attachments are you planning for the spring on the rider? i am ready to pull the trigger on a LT Rich Z Aerator, seeder, etc
A few....will have to wait until the 1st of the year.