Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am dealing with the exact same issues here Dave. I have done probably 10 estimates, closed 0. I have had a couple add ons, few hundred here and there. The big job I do is playing games, I dropped the paperwork off back in September, I hear from them Oct 30, and they want add on of another 28 sets. OK. So all is supposedly said and done, I had to bring an order in of supplies to have on hand, I order a case for the add on. Find out the other day that po still isn't issued. They did call and complain they didn't like the wording of the insurance cert though. They already beat me up over, ready for this $75.00. It takes me a solid week to hang this job, manpower isn't the issue it is access to the 17 trees that have to be lit. It has to be up and lift removed by December 5. I am about ready to tell them to forget it, but it is a huge chunk of what my advertising expenses are. Almost 2/3 of it.

I have a lot of tire kickers going, I got a bunch of signs done up, "Christmas Lights Installed and the phone number" probably have 8 of them out so far. They cost me another 300. This year, not any fun for me up here, started another rehang yesterday which we will finish the house this am, client is unsure if they want to do all the trees again this year or not. All in all, I am still running in the red. Second round of direct mail I believe Mike said hits this week, radio and website spots start this week. Had to stop and get a new phone last night, thank you Verizon for sending me a non functioning replacement, and saw that a shopping center I was trying to get into was being installed, wreaths and garland on lamp posts. I rally want to get in with that company, but could not figure out how to get it done. I will start working on that diligently this time starting in March, and I will not stop until I am sitting in front of someone. They own several shopping plazas here.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have always thought the commercial side of this business is where the steady succcess is, as you would think that it would be steady income, and you close those jobs in the off season. I have actively pursued it, and done a ton of it. but the more I do this, the more I realize that a large number of long term relationships with residential customers that use you for years may be more valuable in the long run than a few large commercial clients that can really hurt you when they fire you because an ownership partnership changes.

keep pressing on and work will come in. It is still going to be a good year.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I won't give up, all in all this is to much fun, the rewards of creating something beautiful in the end is very much worth it.

Mike expressed the same to me in all honesty in one of our many many conversations, told me point blank "concentrate on the residential clients." I do see exactly where you both are coming from, that rehang even though it is a fantastic reference point during a conversation with people, the aggravation is getting old.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

picked up #14 today, another good one, but still way behind in new sales and new customers closed by this day last year. I need to get to around #20 or so new clients to break even on rehang dollars lost from other jobs. I am holding out hope that at some point it starts to resemble last year and kick in. I would at this poiint be happy with 30 or up. pretty sad that my goal last year was 50 new ones, , but as always, I will take what I can get. I do have 4 or 5 appointments tomorrow, and had several today. continuing to put out signs every other day. postcards should hit from this saturday to saturday of thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations Dave. I am still waiting on number 1, this year seems like it is going to be a complete waste of time, and especially money for me.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolandscaping View Post
Congratulations Dave. I am still waiting on number 1, this year seems like it is going to be a complete waste of time, and especially money for me.
Hang in there... we had a slow start, but the switch is turned on now! Phone is ringing and emails are coming in now!
We just did a new job a few days again and I just now sold one to a house a few house down.

Whats killing us is the new HBL guy that is advertising $425 rooflines.... I keep bidding against him at double that!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

#15 today, small one ( 800 ) but nice simple c9 job on a pretty nice house. I am hoping for 3 new ones tomorrow, I did 9 bids today. The one that closed today actually walked up to the truck as I was bidding two others and bought on the spot.

yard signs are bringing me bids and jobs right now, so if you don't have any out be sure and do that over the next 2 weeks. this is getting to be impulse buy season.

I know that many of you guys are not fan's of yard signs, but I gotta tell you, I cannot fathom doing this business without them.

compare/contrast- I just spent 1000 bucks in postage and addressing to mail 4000 6x 11 postcards. I spent about 8 cents each to print those and get them shipped here from gotprint. so total cost to do one mailing- 1320 bucks. It is insane to think I would get 13 customers from that mailing, which would put it at 100 bucks per customer. likely only 5 or 6 tops. so that costs me about 250 bucks per customer !
but I spent 1000 bucks last year on 250 yard signs, I put out about 50-75 last year as they came fairly late and I am going to put out every last one of the ones left in the next 3 weeks. I am betting that I will generate more customers from signs than postcards, and at half the cost.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Radio commercials started this am, actually heard on on the website stream. I must say that was different. Trying to establish credibility and back up the post cards arriving this week.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The sad part of the roof guy, he is making money too. The cost of the C-9 bulbs and cords, he covers everything for 1000 lf in one sale. there is not one bit of discussion in the HBL training, or atleast there wasn't last year when I was there. Alot of concentration on Light Links, very minimal if any on C-9 and no discussion on roofs. My goal when I started this endeavor was to eventually make good money, not crush other guys by under cutting prices to a ridiculous point. Wonder what he is gonna do when he has to start running service calls.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

#16 and 17 today, one good one and another small one, but good neighborhood and hope it will lead to more jobs in that neighborhood. but I will take just about anything at this point. speaking of, The 425 per roofline reminded me about another thread where we discussed doing tons of homes in the right neighborhoods at around 400-500 per home could be profitable if enough volume was there. you would have to do multiple jobs a day to make it worthwile.

I would think that you could not make much driving around, but then, if you could do 4 per day with 2 guys I could maybe see it. it would have to be smaller jobs, 120-170 feet, and pretty easy pitches. and no other items, like garland, wreaths, mini's. not my cup of tea, but given the choice, better than nothing.