Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're right too many HO's love the scotts bonus s. If a little is good more is better. Water? Sure, screw the restrictions all night every night. Grows 6" a week, must be doing the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Let me tell you a little story... we live on five acres in Central Fl. We bought the property in the mid 80's from an older lady whose husband had recently passed away. The house is a 70's ranch and in those days it was common for home owners to lay St. Augustine only on the front yard and the rest leave it to the Bahia.

From what I could tell then, they never fertilized nor irrigated anything. For environmental reasons we also decided not to do any of it either even though we have a well.

The result?... In season, our SA looks better than any I have seen, off season it goes dormant but never really dies off, and once the rains start again it takes off. For over 20 years at least, this grass has never been fed nor has it ever needed any pesticide.

Let me make it clear, it has never had cinch bug or any other problem other than some assorted weed here and there.

I'm of the opinion that over-watering and a never ending cycle of nitrogen feeding weakens SA to the point that it becomes susceptible to diseases and infestations.

IMO any turf, if given the proper conditions to develop resistance naturally, will perform in the same manner.

I agree with you - that is what I was saying about if Floratam being properly feed. To often it seems that too many people think they need to feed it all the time (both water and fertilizer) - and they never pay attention to the soil. In your properties case the microbes are doing their thing and taking care of the soil.
Too often - homeowners think that fert and a overabundance of water is the answer - when in reality that is the problem.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Let me tell you a little story... we live on five acres in Central Fl. We bought the property in the mid 80's from an older lady whose husband had recently passed away. The house is a 70's ranch and in those days it was common for home owners to lay St. Augustine only on the front yard and the rest leave it to the Bahia.

From what I could tell then, they never fertilized nor irrigated anything. For environmental reasons we also decided not to do any of it either even though we have a well.

The result?... In season, our SA looks better than any I have seen, off season it goes dormant but never really dies off, and once the rains start again it takes off. For over 20 years at least, this grass has never been fed nor has it ever needed any pesticide.

Let me make it clear, it has never had cinch bug or any other problem other than some assorted weed here and there.

I'm of the opinion that over-watering and a never ending cycle of nitrogen feeding weakens SA to the point that it becomes susceptible to diseases and infestations.

IMO any turf, if given the proper conditions to develop resistance naturally, will perform in the same manner.
I've seen this many times. St. Augustine lawns that have never, or at least rarely ever had any chemical fertilizer or pesticide put on them, yet they thrive.

Most of the ones that I have seen that have done the best are ones that the St. Augustine ran from another lawn or another part of the lawn. A good friend of mine had a neighbor with no sprinkler system and bahia grass. The yard two houses down had St. Augustine. The St. Augustine completely overtook the bahia within a few years and does pretty good. It may not be the greenest in the middle of summer, but it doesn't grow out of control either. The house that originally had the St. Augustine has had to replace theirs several times.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Same here. Water, nutrients, chemicals...

How prominent is the dollar spot Keith?

It's not bad. It has had it before and went away. I noticed the yellowing of individual leaves a few days ago, and today saw the little straw colored patches. The spots are relatively small. No more than 6" x 3", and there are probably five or six of them.

They look about like this http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/5262031.jpg
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The St. Augustine completely overtook the bahia within a few years and does pretty good..

That's my situation. It went from a small area -basically in front of the house - and now it is covering over an acre. Bahia cannot thrive in shade, at all, so when the SA moves in and shades it, it kills it and takes over.

Watching the whole process is better than video games...

Oh Lord... I gotta get a life......

Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Captiva is a relatively new release from UF. A number of sod growers in southern FL had issues with contamination with their fields so production has been pulled back. There are a few that still have it currently available last time I checked.

Currently it's showing some chinch bug resistance compared to Floratam

It is the smallest SA cultivar available of the semi-dwarf group, so much that some consider it a true dwarf. Because of this, it can be considered a lower input turf. The growth habit is tight with internodal length being very short. It is recommeded to be maintained at a shorter length due to potential thatch buildup. Again the length that it is maintained at, is dependent on what maintence level you want to keep it at and your location, microclimate and other cultural practices.

Plants don't waste water(over-irrigate), People do. I love to hear people that maintain lawns on a lean diet(those lawns become more drought and disease resistant and sustainable)
I also understand lean diet living works well for people seeking longer lives too. Less can be more... More issues are caused by over fertilizing with too much N causing brown or large patch etc.

It is said that Captiva has such a slow vertical growth rate, that it takes 3 weeks of growth to match 1 week of growth in Floratam. That said, It could potentailly reduce income of those that sod with it. For example, Mr. homeowner to LCO: "My lawn doesn't need cutting this week either. Just go ahead and skip me again."

More info here:
http://www.sodsolutions.com/about/ca...haracteristics
Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I visited the property with the Captiva today and it looks great.

This with running the irrigation system once a week and no rain since ... 1975.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Captiva is a relatively new release from UF.....

Hey Rob, where are you located in CFL?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Rob, where are you located in CFL?

Both of us are located in the Oviedo area!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Both of us are located in the Oviedo area!

Thanks.

I'm just south of Ocala. Horse country and all that jazz.