Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

NE Hardscapers: If Techo is the "best" . . .who is second?

I've been hearing over and over again that Techo Bloc is hard to beat in terms of quality, and my experience is they do make a nice product.

Who would you say is second in the Northeast US? OR . . .is better?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For pavers I'd say: First place would be Techo. Good selection in size and colors. Second place would be a toss-up between Belgard & Ideal. For Wall Systems, Techo again, then Belgard and Ideal taking third spot only because their tolerances suck.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

See, I won't go so far to say Techo "is the best".

They have pavers with super high density ratings. Ok, so what? We're going on 15 years of installing pavers, prior to Techo's existance in MD - we really never had issues with the other brands arising from lack of density.

Their colors? Drab.

No broken pavers on pallets? Never been an issue with the other brands that do have broken pavers. All our jobs entail cutting and mitering, even the broken pavers don't go to waste.

I'd say that in a normal economy 75% of what we install are Techo Pavers. Yes, they have a good product. And yes I am a big fan and loyal supporter of Techo. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Charlie the owner. Paver Pete is a great guy, and Big Joe is super also. But I won't say they are "the best".

Belgard is Good.

And we like Nicolock. Sure they do have some flaws, have some room for improvement, but the flaws are not show stoppers. This year we have installed alotta Nicolock. Nicolock has a wall system 'Mini Colonial'. Mini Colonial non-tumbled is 9 bucks / SF. Looks nearly identical to Techo's Mini-Creta - which is around 15 bucks / SF.

But now when I hear "wall" I don't think of the fancy block (mini-creta, Celtik, Mini-Colonial). Those are planters. When I hear wall - I think of a true SRW. In which I would say Cornerstone is my block of preference. Many folks here have never used Cornerstone. A few have. And I'd bet for those that have/do use Cornerstone will agree with me.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 11-17-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Techo then Unilock cuz that's what's round here and readily available!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Techo then Ideal. Never was a fan of Nico the colors look swirlly not blended.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dare i say cambridge? they are decent pavers tolerance is a little to relaxed no pockets in the face like i have seen with belgard. not saying they are top ranking but they are a good paver
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low4NH View Post
dare i say cambridge? they are decent pavers tolerance is a little to relaxed no pockets in the face like i have seen with belgard. not saying they are top ranking but they are a good paver
X2 We install a lot of cambridge and have been very happy with their product. Very reasonable and the amortec seems to be the real deal. We do a good amount of techo and unilock too but probably 75% cambridge