Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Thanks.

I'm just south of Ocala. Horse country and all that jazz.

I keep seeing ads for a company offering top dressing from your neck of the woods. I think he calls his product "black Kow" - not sure if he spells it different than the actual bagged product or not. Has a good price on Manure Compost at $35 a yard delivered. Was thinking that since next week is a off week, if time allows I may being grab Rob and heading over there to check out his product.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I keep seeing ads for a company offering top dressing from your neck of the woods. I think he calls his product "black Kow" - not sure if he spells it different than the actual bagged product or not. Has a good price on Manure Compost at $35 a yard delivered. Was thinking that since next week is a off week, if time allows I may being grab Rob and heading over there to check out his product.

Thankfully, there's a number of organic soil suppliers around these parts. I used this supplier last year and had excellent results.

We'll start rejuvenating our color beds starting on the 29th and plan to get about 20 yards from them.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was thinking that since next week is a off week, if time allows I may being grab Rob and heading over there to check out his product.

Yeah Micheal, that would work for me. You know how to find me. Let me know.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Thankfully, there's a number of organic soil suppliers around these parts. I used this supplier last year and had excellent results.

We'll start rejuvenating our color beds starting on the 29th and plan to get about 20 yards from them.

thanks for the input Green t - will check them out too if we get up that way next week.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Was thinking that since next week is a off week, if time allows I may being grab Rob and heading over there to check out his product.

Yeah Micheal, that would work for me. You know how to find me. Let me know.
Will call you over the weekend Birthday boy....Got to formulate my list of things I need to get done next week. By the way, seen that sod from GVI today, they guy that owns the spray company whos lawn I mow, had his front lawn redone, not bad looking stuff.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

It has been over 18 months since this thread started... Any updates from the folks actually using Captiva SA?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, they decided to rip it out and replace it with Floratan, again.

They had too many issues with fungus infestations, watering problems, and in general not being able/willing? to follow a proper management system. Not having an applicator familiar with it didn't help either.

I still think it has potential, if managed correctly.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Missed your update. Mine has been in for 21 months. I have decided that I can live with the fungal issues that plague it through the summer and early fall. I have sprayed it once or twice with fungicide, but for the most part I let it do what it wants. The funny thing is, all fungus has occurred in full sun. In the partial shaded area it has never had a single problem.

You learn that it is slow to recover if it gets to a certain point, so I don't like to let it dry out. Floratam, you can get away with it. Semi-dwarfs, don't try it. Captiva is no exception.

Growth is fastest March to June with normal watering. But from July 2010 to December 2011, I think I cut it a grand total of 15 times.

It seemed slow to send out runners in the beginning, but I have successfully grown a tray of plugs from one single sprig in about 6 months (late May to December) with no special attention. The first 3 months were a bit slow covering, but the next 3 they moved out pretty good. I currently have 8 more trays planted from my own plugs, and will start 8 more this month. I plugged a corner of my backyard with Sapphire, and I intend to do another, bigger section with my home-grown Captiva plugs. Seems a good candidate with it's partial shade.

BTW, I felt confident enough in it to put down some Captiva sod in lawn other than mine about 6 weeks ago. I told her of the potential issues, but she loved the color and the idea of it not growing 6 inches in 6 days in the summer. Most of her lawn is bahia, but she wanted stepping stones leading from the drive to the back garden. We basically used the sod to surround the stones to so they would not be sitting above the grade. So it's about a 6' wide by 60' long strip of really nice sod sitting in a sea of bahia. The lawn routinely floods out during hard rains. The strip of sod should also create a barrier to keep water from rushing toward the bed and floating mulch away.