Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2003, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

New tot he business Please help

I am a new guy just starting my lawn service business.
I have many questions and few answers.
I would like to have some input from old timers in this field.
Some of my questions.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to doing residential as oppose to doing commercial.

How do you figure out how much to charge.....I don't want to be the lowballer just because I am the new guy on the block.

Where can I get my hands on some contracts.

Where and how do you advertise?

How much of your budget is set up for advertising?

What are the demographics of your customers.?

Answers or suggestions to one or any of these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Adrian Barrera
Old 03-18-2003, 07:44 PM

Adrian,

Welcome to LawnSite.com!

Residential clients are sometimes more forgiving, do not require the same type of equipment, employees, etc.... and it is not as risky simply because if you lose a few residential clients your business will not suffer greatly because of it.

As far as learning how to charge....great question in which there will never be the same answer...to sum it up.... know your numbers...understand what it costs you to cover your expenses and what you want to profit on top of that..... sounds simple and the concept actually is..... just takes time and planning.

If you go to www.lawncaresuccess.com there is a proposal and a contract for sale. I'm not trying to sell it to you, just pointing out where to look.....

Advertising can depend on a lot of things...primarily your budget.... you can pass out flyers, use doorhangers, small newspaper ads, telemarketing, direct mail, and even TV..... eventually you will find that word of mouth will give you all the work you have time for....just takes time to get the word out.

Customers depend on the area and your prefernce for working with few people or your willingness to work in volume.... the wealthier the client, the less of them you need, but the better your service needs to be.... just like any other service business really. Those that can afford it usually will pay for it.

Hope this helped. Best of luck.