Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

nope! If I had one it wouldnt much matter would it. Id be good to go on anything.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
ok dumb question but do any of u guy arguing about the CDL rules even have a CDL .............

this is funny
That is irrelevant isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna try to speak for the initially asked topic.

I have been running a pickup with a dump trailer for the last 2 years, The first year I purchased a 6x12 bri-mar bumper pull with a 10000# gvwr I purchased the trailer to be able to haul slabwood bundles from the mills to residences for a very good profit. I also have been involved with landscaping the past 8 years and the last 2 years been working more and more with light excavation work via skid steer\ mini ex. I used the 6x12 for a year and found it was just to small for most tasks at hand, It was more profitable to get two slabwood bundles on a longer trailer for deliveries, it was a very tight squeeze with the skid steer and I was constantly running at my max weight for the trailer all the time. I sold the trailer for a profit and purchased a used 16x7 bri-mar 14000# gooseneck dump. This trailer pulls like a charm, is incredibly maneuverable in tight places and hauls everything i need. It will haul the bobcat 335 mini and my thomas t131 skid steer without an issue (separately of course). If you plan on using it for only equipment hauling i feel this may not be your best option and is the problem i am running into now with it. I have to drop the equipment on site and then bring back the materials with the trailer as opposed to having materials in the dump bed on a truck. If you are going to only purchase a small dump trailer, get the dump truck but if you are going to purchase a 14000lb gross trailer etc... then go with the trailer due to qty of material you can deliver.

And in regards to the cdl, I spoke with CT DOT and DMV and was told the following verbatim
"Sir, as long as your truck and trailer combination is under 26001# you do not need a CDL to run your setup, your total gross combined vehicle weight is 25500 lbs. If you get a bigger truck or bigger trailer in terms of weight to increase your total by 501 pounds you will need a Class A CDL."
So i replied
"Ma'am, I understand what you are saying, but have one question now, If I do exceed the 26001 pounds with a new trailer can I take the class A cdl test with my truck and trailer since it would technically be considered a Class A setup on the road. I do understand I would not receive the air brake endorsement."
SILENCE...............CONTINUED SILENCE......
"Sir, I do not have or know that answer, you are going to have to call licensing....."

So i call licensing, and ask them that same question, there response is... Thats a good question we will get back to you..... I gave them my contact info and no response in two months.

Gotta love DMV\DOT

here are some pictures of the two setups.

This is my weight setup
Truck: 2005 dodge ram 3550 QC dually 11500#
Trailer: 16ft gooseneck bri mar dump 14000#
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Theenerbuilt truck beds

Side load side dump truck bed trailer can be used for hauling equipment. Theenerbuilt.com