Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question about using my Magna-Matic

Hey guys...first I wanted to say I love my Magna-Matic! It has saved me so much money and time already and has given me better sharpened and balanced blade.

I have a couple questions about my sharpening technique though. Sometimes when I'm sharpening my blades the end of the blade will still be kind of dull and a little thicker than the rest of the sharpened blade if that makes sense. Am I pulling the blade away from the grinding wheel too fast or is there another explanation for this? Other times when I am really having to work on a really beat up blade, after a while it tends to leave a rough finish on the sharpened edge...I'm not sure why. I'm sure these are problems with my technique as these problems only happen sometimes. Also how do I know where to start sharpening? I feel like the length of the sharp edges of my blades is getting closer to the center of the blade. And how do I know when a blade is just too used up to sharpen anymore? My last question is how do I know when it is time to change the grinding wheel?

I will be needing to order a new box of wheels and possibly a new work table as I think I might have put the wheel a little too close a few times and worn mine down quite a bit. Do I order this stuff on the website? Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions. These are just all things I have been meaning to ask about all season just kept forgetting. Finally thought to finally post it today. Thanks in advance for the help!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey dlawns, nice thread as we just picked up a magna matic at GIE and are selling our old wall rbg.

i am curious in whatever this turns up as i have not even unpacked it yet . we do sharpen alot of blades though and i look forward to much less mess and i breath way too much metal dust as it is now.

we got the rolling stand and such, all the goodies
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
hey dlawns, nice thread as we just picked up a magna matic at GIE and are selling our old wall rbg.

i am curious in whatever this turns up as i have not even unpacked it yet . we do sharpen alot of blades though and i look forward to much less mess and i breath way too much metal dust as it is now.

Dude, you won't be sorry. It is an awesome machine. I'm jealous...I didn't know there was a stand that rolled, lol. I have the stand but mine is stationary. I just pull it a foot or two away from the wall when I use it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post

Use a dust mask to reduce the metal dust in the lungs. Even with the shop vac going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Use a dust mask to reduce the metal dust in the lungs. Even with the shop vac going.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should really start doing this huh? lol
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-27-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
I should really start doing this huh? lol
I would think it would reduce issues later in life. I got a box of 50 by the sharpner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I would think it would reduce issues later in life. I got a box of 50 by the sharpner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya know, I'm usually so cautious about stuff but I never really thought about that. I actually have a box at the shop and will definitely start using them. Thanks...
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bill, approximately how many blades do you sharpen at a time and how often? You sharpen daily or weekly?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Hey Bill, approximately how many blades do you sharpen at a time and how often? You sharpen daily or weekly?
It really depends, I have a few sets for each mower so sometimes I will just keep changing them until I run out. I probably have approximately 25 blades so sometimes I will do every one of them at once and sometimes I sharpen as I go to keep up on it. I don't sharpen daily. Usually once a week depending on conditions. In the spring when the grass is really thick or a lot of wet thick grass conditions I will sharpen twice in a week.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I kinda figures. I have to get a few more accounts next year to justify a magna-matic. I'm sure it makes life ALOT easier!