Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
What about the Bobcat 418? Wouldn't it fit into the "mini mini" category? http://bobcat.com/excavators/models/418
I think the 418 is a bit too small for me.

Interesting to see how much love the Tak is getting here.

I don't think that ZTS is that important to me. My biggest concern is getting between buildings, not necessarily digging close to them. My two main uses for this machine would be trenching (trying to keep trench width to 12" or less) and digging holes (3' x 3' x 2' deep), in really in-hospitable ground.

We have trenchers and guys with shovels. The issue I'm really trying to solve is dealing with horribly compacted ground and/or very gravelly sub-soils. Both of those conditions render our chain trencher useless and doesn't do much better for the guys with shovels.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Anything is better than shoveling by hand

I don't know what you pay a person to do goon spooning a mini excavator should save a lot of labour expenses.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I honestly think I prefer the machine this size in standard swing size.

Really helps with stability on a a little one. The undercarriage can only be so wide and the counterweight helps. You can set some decent size rocks and such with the little 016 if you really need it to.

That being said, I would get whatever is the best price. Any TK, Deere, Hitachi, Kubota, Komatsu, Case etc would all be fine. I like the pin grabber for a coupler as you can turn the buckets around when needed which is neat. Also a basic thumb and a few buckets!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowellreid View Post
I honestly think I prefer the machine this size in standard swing size.

Really helps with stability on a a little one. The undercarriage can only be so wide and the counterweight helps. You can set some decent size rocks and such with the little 016 if you really need it to.

That being said, I would get whatever is the best price. Any TK, Deere, Hitachi, Kubota, Komatsu, Case etc would all be fine. I like the pin grabber for a coupler as you can turn the buckets around when needed which is neat. Also a basic thumb and a few buckets!
What's it take to change buckets on a mini-ex? I'm sure every company has a different set up, but in general, how hard and how much time does it take.

There's a TK016 coming up for local auction in a couple weeks and it has my interest...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
What's it take to change buckets on a mini-ex? I'm sure every company has a different set up, but in general, how hard and how much time does it take.

There's a TK016 coming up for local auction in a couple weeks and it has my interest...
Your in Alberta so it would be a easy thing to go with a CWS quick change system and a trenching bucket and a clean up bucket. Dealers are bringing machines up from the USA with CP buckets the machines I have been looking at online have them.

Pin on buckets are a real pain to deal with so going with a wedge bar quick connect is the way to go.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Mini like this are so easy to change as you can pick the buckets up one handed and slide the pins in think no advantage to quick coupler on this size we have one one our 3 ton but it's just so easy to change buckets on these not needed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've rented the takeuchi TB016 several times for small pipe and yard grading projects and I really like it. It is small but if you know what your doing it makes work real easy. It's got good power and fast, plus I can load my ton dump truck verly easy. My thoughts are like Hollow on tail swing you can only get so much with this little things.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have rented a 322 ( I think that was the number) for some very tight work. I had to drop it into a basement to dig the floor down. The tail swing was an issue. It dug well. I also rented the CASE CX17B. The same machine RSG bought. I liked the zero tailswing better, but need to have the tracks extended out more often when digging off the side. My view on the conventional verse zts is that you can never be sure where you would need to put one of these to do a job. I would rather have the zts and deal with having to extend the tracks more often then a conv. that I had to reposition or watch the tail all the time. Thats just my view. The little did CASE needed a bigger bucket. The CASE also had a thumb which was cool although I did not use it much for my project. These little machine are sure handy. A coupler with a small grading bucket would be an excellent addition for one of these machines. For me its nothing I would use every day or even every week but you need one, nothing else will work. If you can buy them at the right price they are worth having around in my view.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the last post by Ksss, zero tail swing is where its at, I rented the same bobcat (regular tail swing) a few times and it does not even come close to a zero tail swung machine for usefulness, definitely try out both versions before you buy...
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

deere 17d, brandt even has one for sale in there used. 750 hours, thumb, q/c, cleanup and dig bucket. Being in calgary, you would have every part imaginable overnight from brandt, how long would that take for a tak? although i do belive hammer sells them in alberta.