Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 PM
brianslawncare brianslawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: scranton pennsylvinia
Posts: 352
i have 50 weekly and 5 are commercial accounts.my wife and i can do all of them in 4 days. the other days are for mulching,planting or hedge trimming. i would like to expand and start a second crew, but its hard to get new customers with the current economy, everybody with a pickup has a mower. we did some more advertizing this year than in the past. we had some mixed results. maybe this year will be better.
__________________
1995 ford f350 4x4 dump w/8.5ft western plow
1993 chevy 1500 4x4 w/7.5 western plow
1999 6.5 x 16 foot trailer
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
AzLawnMan's Avatar
AzLawnMan AzLawnMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
we finished the season with 2132 weekly customers and 450 seasonal clients . Its not about the number its about the quality of services you provide each one .
I have been in this game a very long time and something about your numbers dont make sense to me. If you have 2132 weekly customers and your crews average 50 per week, that means you have 42 crews, and at 42 crews you are on average running 3 men per crew and at 3 men per crew, if you are only getting 10 yards a day done, then my friend you are losing plenty of money. And before you say I have no idea what I am talking about, you are wrong, I do. My residential crews cost me $26.03 an hour and I am making $87.50 per hour per residential crew. My residential crews I have 2 men in each truck. Walker mower, honda push, 2 weed-eaters, 2 blowers and 2 trimmers. They can do 20 a day with full service and get done in 8 hours. My commercial crews have 5-6 men and can do on average a large property (800 units) and a small property (200 units) in under 8 hours, or 4 smaller properties. Heck, I sent a 3 man crew today to a 350 unit appartment and they were done in 3 hours. My commercial and tree crews cost alot more per hour but I am making 250% more per hour with those crews as compared to the residential crews. I am not saying your lying, I think your numbers are a little off is all. Also by your numbers, you say you have 46 locations, that menas you have 3 men at each location?

A couple of question if you dont mind. What is your insurance costs? Workmans comp, general liability? How many actual crews do you have? How many per crew? What size shop/yard do you have?

Last edited by AzLawnMan; 12-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
DollarSign DollarSign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell on Blades View Post
As many as I can handle before dragging my dead do tired butt home every night.

But as many as I can get, I always feel bad then next day when I have a spare hour. I feel like every hour spent at home is an hour spent not making any money.
I feel the same way.

However, the number of clients you have has really nothing to do with anything because the size of the property and services performed vary so much.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
XLS XLS is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: southern middle tennessee
Posts: 2,038
we have 46 locations we run 2 man crews the shop is storage sheds and semi trailers and the likes of such . if you would like figures on the company you would in fact be asking me to contact each location and ask them because each location is responsible for its own legal requirments .I assure you its alot more then many make gross per year on herethanks to the law changes this year. and you need to know what kind of properties we are managing as well, before you compare us to yours.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
AzLawnMan's Avatar
AzLawnMan AzLawnMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 409
You said this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
we are at 156 crew members 46 locations so its on average only around 50 per crew a week
Then you say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
we have 46 locations we run 2 man crews the shop is storage sheds and semi trailers and the likes of such . if you would like figures on the company you would in fact be asking me to contact each location and ask them because each location is responsible for its own legal requirments .I assure you its alot more then many make gross per year on herethanks to the law changes this year. and you need to know what kind of properties we are managing as well, before you compare us to yours.
46 locations + 2 men at each location = 92. So which is it 156 crew members or 92?

Also you are more than likely a referral company that takes a percentage. If you have no access to numbers because "each location is responsible for its own legal requirments" then you do not own those companies or crews and therefore you do not have as many customers as you are saying.

Problem that I have is some of the guys on this site are actually looking for real advice and numbers so they can measure themselves out and see where they stand. Instead you throw out these numbers and they dont make sense. Unless Im missing something your numbers confuse me more now than before. Also are you managing properties or providing maintenance? There is a difference. If I counted every property that I reffered out to another company as my own, well then I have about 3k accounts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,991
Nevermind, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLawnMan View Post
You said this :



Then you say this:



46 locations + 2 men at each location = 92. So which is it 156 crew members or 92?

Also you are more than likely a referral company that takes a percentage. If you have no access to numbers because "each location is responsible for its own legal requirments" then you do not own those companies or crews and therefore you do not have as many customers as you are saying.

Problem that I have is some of the guys on this site are actually looking for real advice and numbers so they can measure themselves out and see where they stand. Instead you throw out these numbers and they dont make sense. Unless Im missing something your numbers confuse me more now than before. Also are you managing properties or providing maintenance? There is a difference. If I counted every property that I reffered out to another company as my own, well then I have about 3k accounts.
Ronald Reagan called this voodoo economics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
hackitdown hackitdown is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,239
At the end of this season, we ended up with 47 regular residential customers, but 3 of those are bi-weekly. We have 7 baseball fields for weekly grooming (same price as mowing). And we have some that call from time to time for cuts.
__________________

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.12047 seconds with 9 queries