Register free!

Old 03-21-2003, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So Harold,
What type of questions would you like to see here??

Or, should we all just puff up our egos and explain why each of us feel we are better than everyone else?

I have been around for many years, probably like yourself, i do get a kick out of some of the questions in here and many scare me to death! Personally I'd rather have the inexperienced ask there questions on this type of forum.

but, thats just me
Old 03-21-2003, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
I'd like to see questions ask, but lets give enough info some you can get good advice!!!!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-21-2003, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TSM

My question was
Quote:
why labels on products are not read or understood. And if the label is not understood or the product useage is not understood, why are questions directed here? Why not ask the product manufacturer or the person or company selling the product?
Quote:
Why don't people go to a direct source of information?
My additional comment was
Quote:
Good info is available here, knowledgeable people are members of this site. But a person asking these questions here is getting answers from people he/she doesn't have any idea of how accurate the info is they are getting back.
The question is legit and no ego is involved. Why would LawnSite be the first place of choice to ask a question about a product that has directions, cautions and contact information on the bag or container?
Old 03-21-2003, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Harold,
why do I feel like you are scolding me?

I didn't mean to imply anything about your ego.

But you did not answer my question, 'What type of questions would you like to see here?'
Old 03-21-2003, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TSM

It is not about what kind of questions do I want to see here, it is about why are some questions asked here or asked here first as opposed to going to a more direct source.

My question is a human interest question. It is a question of how brains function or we perceive, process and comprehend certain things.

If a member asks a question like "what experience have you guys had using pendmethalin compared to dimension and what rates and how many times per season did you apply it", I fully understand the person wants info on practical experience.

In this case the question was technical about product use. Products like this contain information on the bag. Perhaps the member has not purchased the product and knows nothing about pre-emergent annual grassy weed control. Perhaps he did purchase and read the bag but was unsure wether the product worked differently on "weed grass" as opposed to "good grass". The member did know enough from somewhere to initiate the question.

This members question is not an unreasonable question. However many similar questions are asked on LawnSite and I wonder why go to a secondary (not to be construed as second rate) information source for certain questions?

What are your comments or ideas?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Harold,
I believe folks come to these forums to ask questions rather than going to a more direct source simply because here they are anonymous. I could be all wrong, but there is no embarrassment here.

Of course this is also the lazy mans way of getting answers. Why read or do any type of investigation when a person can just type away at a keyboard and wait for the more informed to solve their dilemmas.

Then there is the egomaniac, you know, the guy who just likes putting people down. I feel those folks are sitting in some dark room all alone and rather than reaching out with a helping hand they take out their loneliness on others.

Personally, I check in for a few of reasons.
1) helps keep my mind active during the off season (we start up full speed next week, chances are I won't be coming around very often)

2) amusement, some comments, whether in the form of a question or an answer, really make me chuckle.

3) I also like to feed off of the enthusiasm of some in here. This particular forum seems to have many members who are just starting their business. Their enthusiasm help keep me energized some what.

And I'm not to proud to say I have learned a thing or two.

But, I do, at times, get frustrated with this cyber communicating because we (humans) tend to want to read between the lines or we insert an emotion into the sentence that the writer did not intend.

With all that being said, time for me to turn in for the night.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel B.
Thanks again, guys.

No I don't have any pesticide/fertilizer licenses and am not doing any applicating commercially, just my own lawn. I hope I wouldn't be asking these questions if was licensed!!

I'm just a guy with a lawn mowing/snow plowing business that would like his own thin lawn to look nicer. I'm also looking into a sprinkler system.

Joel B.
Mowing high will usually eliminate crab grass within 2 seasons.
A thriving, healthy lawn shouldn't need crab grass control. if you don't have a problem, forget it and do your seeding.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had something to say but I'll hold onto it til a later date.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
come on homer, quit teasing us!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-23-2003, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

preemergence/seed

Gents: Just to confuse the matter a little farther, there is a
relatively new product called Drive 75 DF Herbicide that can
be used as a pre/post ( more post ) for crabgrass, and done
at the same time as seeding. Not really effective right now, but
could be used in May or June as conditions are right for crabgrass
and other grassy weeds. Better yet, it controls dandelions, clover
and several other broadleaf weeds. Perfect for Athletic Turf
Maintenance programs where you are forced to seed in the Spring. Sorry but it won't control goosegrass.