Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
How you gonna tell a customer, "Oh, sorry I cant do it because I am an idiot and severly underpriced it to help a friend"

that wont go over well..

and I dont like being left hanging after somebody tells me they are going to do a job.. so why should I do that to him? Although I do have the chance that I'll need a permit to do the job, which I wont be able to get because Dads not involved..
Thats why there called extras, haha. Just be honest if hes a friend. Your young learning and tell him
"I sat down and did some figuring and cant do the job for that. Im sorry but Im still new and learnng."
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Legally as a minor any contract you make is voidable. This means that the contract is not enforceable. In fact you could take the money, or down-payment and walk away, and this fellow would have no legal discourse. That would be neither neighborly or business savvy, but the fact remains. The reason for this law is to protect your exact situation, where a minor gets effectively strong-armed into a contract that they should never be in. The law generally applies more to purchases made by minor's but still covers this situation.

Having established that you really don't have to do the job I see 3 options.

Option 1: is tell your brother in law (really your sister, cause she's pulling his strings if you know what I mean) that his friend is bending you over, and ask him to help you get out of the situation.

Option 2: Run like hell. I've backed out of job's before. As far as I'm concerned as long as you don't have any money from him yet (or you can get him a full refund) and you aren't past your start date, and you don't have a specific clause prohibiting this: I'd just say that you are no longer comfortable doing the work, recommend somebody else and wish him the best.

Option 3: Rescind your estimate, and offer to do the work T&M with fair warning that it will cost more then originally estimated. If he says he is going to help, then point out that this is more fair to both of you, as his time has an effect on the price.

Wishya Luck
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before you go any further....call it what it is and tell him the truth. Tell him you ****** up, inform him of what it would REALLY cost....offer to stop or maybe he should get estimates which you could match in the very least. Don't go further until clearing the air......it is one thing to end up realizing it after the fact....it is another to have not started or just started and know you are going to working for free. You have to be honest and on your OWN game. You are working to better yourself, not do favors or help other peoples business at your loss.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subcontract it out to a low baller lower than you!

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

If you value your word and gave it then do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Junior M;3825181]My brother in law got me some work from a friend of his who needs some dirt work and tree work around his shop(he's opening a shop specializing in Hondas and cars like that)

And he talked me into doing it really cheap to help both of us out and now I am really regretting it.

And I dont know what to do.. Hopefully this job requires permits and sense my dad isnt involved, I wont be able to do the job...

If not, I got a feeling I am about to lose my ass or worse.QUOTE]

How does he figure that you doing the job really cheap will help the “both” of you out? Or, more to the point, does he even care about you making any money on the job.

Get him to give you a new Honda for $500. Tell him that selling you the car at a really cheap price will help the both of you out. If he says anything other than a yes, ask him what the difference is between your 'deal' for the Honda, and his deal for the landscaping - since both will 'benifit' the both of you.

This guy “talked” (pretty much forced) you into agreeing to do the job for rates below what you would normally charge, and you are worried about what you should do?

Listen to ZabMasonry, or at the very least, listen to your gut feeling.

Mick
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Fireguy97;3825930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
My brother in law got me some work from a friend of his who needs some dirt work and tree work around his shop(he's opening a shop specializing in Hondas and cars like that)

And he talked me into doing it really cheap to help both of us out and now I am really regretting it.

And I dont know what to do.. Hopefully this job requires permits and sense my dad isnt involved, I wont be able to do the job...

If not, I got a feeling I am about to lose my ass or worse.QUOTE]

How does he figure that you doing the job really cheap will help the “both” of you out? Or, more to the point, does he even care about you making any money on the job.

Get him to give you a new Honda for $500. Tell him that selling you the car at a really cheap price will help the both of you out. If he says anything other than a yes, ask him what the difference is between your 'deal' for the Honda, and his deal for the landscaping - since both will 'benifit' the both of you.

This guy “talked” (pretty much forced) you into agreeing to do the job for rates below what you would normally charge, and you are worried about what you should do?

Listen to ZabMasonry, or at the very least, listen to your gut feeling.

Mick
The guy I am doing the job for did not talk me into it.. My brother in law did.. He wants some money and he wants a place to work on his honda.. and if I get the job, he gets both..

I havent heard back from him.. so far so good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why would he get money if you get the job. Did he give the owner a price and then lowball you into working for him?

Anyways, sounds like you have some family drama coming for christmas
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Ask your dad... he knows you would hav f*cked up, and he should provide decent advice.

However, tell him you can't do it. because you can't. Then give him the money he's given you, and walk out the door.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
why would he get money if you get the job. Did he give the owner a price and then lowball you into working for him?

Anyways, sounds like you have some family drama coming for christmas
He wants to help me.. thats why he'd get some money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!