Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

CHEVY 1500 Trailer hookup>?

Hey guys im looking to pick up a 6x12 sometime soon and was wondering what ill need. I got the truck few weeks ago and it already is wired and has a female hitch part. I just now need a ball right? Sorry for newb questions. Maybe pick up few adapters incase i use differnt trailers? Should i get the three differnt size ball so i can rotate to meet my needs? The truck said it came with the tow package, i have a tow button in the car i think its for if im climbing hills and stuff something for the trani....any ideas? Thanks guys
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You've got a few different questions in here, so I will do my best to answer them all.

The towing package usually includes the 7-way round trailer plug in the back by the license plate. If this is the case, you will only be able to use a 7-way plug from a trailer, unless you purchase an adaptor. These adaptors will plug into your 7-way plug on the truck and allow you to plug different style trailer plugs into that, such as 4-way flat or other style. You can pick these adaptors up at Auto Zone, Car Quest, etc.

You will need a hitch and ball for your tow hitch. You can find those pretty much anywhere. You probably have a 2" receiver on the truck, so you will need to buy a 2" hitch for it. You can get different types, ones that have a greater drop or rise to help make your trailer level. There are also adjustable ones that can really make it easy to keep your trailer level because you can make the hitch a 1.5" drop or a 4" drop. You can get all the different size balls, but usually you will only be using a 2" ball. If you use a 2 5/16" ball, that is usually a pretty large trailer (18' +). But it is nice to have different sizes in case you do have to tow a different size trailer. But 2" is easily the most common for utility trailers used for lawn care and honestly the majority of trailers on the road.

The butting on the shift lever in your truck is your tow/haul mode. That is great for when towing in the city when you are in stop and go traffic or when you need some extra power when towing. The tow/haul mode will make the transmission shift while the engine is at a higher RPM than usual. I basically helps you utilize all the power potential of the truck since gas engines have more power at higher RPM's.

Hopefully that answers all your questions.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds