Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

portable hand tool set for truck or trailer

i'm looking for a new set of tools to keep in the trailer or the truck that is organized and has a wide variety of tools. $ isn't really a factor, but just want a good set... sockets, wrenches, maybe a hammer, etc.... but it has to be in sometype of case so that i they don't all fall out every bump i hit. I know craftsman has some nice sets, but both sets i have still spill very easily even in the cases. any ideas? Doesn't have to be top of the line, probably won't use it that much, but i'm sure it will come in handy once in awhile.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

give up on the stupid plastic cases.... they don't work, don't last...and you have too many tools in the case that you dont need

get an army ammo case...for your tool stash

go out and buy individual tools
you need a hammer, channel locks, vice grips, needle nose pliers, a socket for each size of plug, socket for you blades, breaker bar, and socket driver, a few screwdrivers a couple pry bars and some tire irons...the key is only carry what you equipment needs.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the newly designed craftsman 154 piece set for all my trucks (5). On sale on black friday from 149.99-99.99. They really listen to all the complaints from the previous boxes!!! Best ever! Not one tool falls outa place anymore!!! Shake the ever loving crap outa it and nothing NOTHING moves!!! You can go bigger or smaller but for accessability and fitting behind the seat I'd say YES to this one! The 154 piece set has the perfect wrenches and sockets for on the road fixes! With all the extra room for pliers,nuts,bolts,wire stuff,ect this one is a winner 5 stars*****!!!!!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

steve nice looking set, but still a lot of tools that you'll need to add and stuff you'd need to take out that seem to be over kill or useless.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly my other one's (similar piece sets), I used probably 95% of all the pieces!They would just get lost from falling outa the case!!! Curse the old cases! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH NWSL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

really use all of em in the field.. If it couldn't be fixed in 5 minutes with the small handfull of tools on the truck then I did not want my guys playing mechanic. one guy twisting wrenched for 15-20 minutes means 2 other guys were onthe clock doing nothing...

Bring it home at the end of the day and I'll look at over night...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsStrongestLandscaper View Post
I just bought the newly designed craftsman 154 piece set for all my trucks (5). On sale on black friday from 149.99-99.99. They really listen to all the complaints from the previous boxes!!! Best ever! Not one tool falls outa place anymore!!! Shake the ever loving crap outa it and nothing NOTHING moves!!! You can go bigger or smaller but for accessability and fitting behind the seat I'd say YES to this one! The 154 piece set has the perfect wrenches and sockets for on the road fixes! With all the extra room for pliers,nuts,bolts,wire stuff,ect this one is a winner 5 stars*****!!!!!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device
is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937154000P
Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have this set in each of my trucks. Great selecton of tools. cant beat it forr $70.00
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCoQ8wIwAA#
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6818_200326818

This is in all of my vehicles now and will be in my truck when i get it.