Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
No, no, no, no! Unless you mean smrt...like Homer.
Honestly, I don't think I would take my eyes off of him while he was changing my oil!!

Put down that dogdamn crescent wrench Gomar... I mean Gravel Rat!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvLandscapeLLC View Post
So your telling me that my one ton cummins dually can not effectively tow or stop my 14000#gvw Gooseneck trailer. Its funny that you say that because I tow that combination daily with a gcvwr of 24000-25000lbs. I have lost my trailer brakes and can still effectively stop my trailer and truck without issue... I really dont know where you pull some of your statements out of other than your A$$.
You have to remember... you don't live in BC. In BC they 90% grades.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The weight of the machine is still an issue for the truck I have, a F-450 is too small of a truck to be pulling a 14,000lb bumper pull trailer on the hills in this area. Very few people pull any heavy trailer behind anything smaller than a single axle 5 ton truck for the very reason of the steep hills.

You can run out of braking power very quickly with a 14,000lb bumper pull trailer behind a F-450/550 truck, it would be a death sentence if you had a 14,000lb gvw trailer behind a 3/4 ton or a dually.

Decending one hill too fast will distroy the brake pads on the truck and the brake shoes on the trailer. Seen many people with brake fires over the years the brakes get so hot the grease boils in the hub and the brake calipers blow out. One mistake of going down one hill too fast costs you 500 dollars in brake repairs.

A 3.5 ton mini is the heaviest machine you want to haul on a bumper pull trailer The only way I could haul a machine the size of a Takeuchi TB145 would be on a trailer with the lightest tare weight possible.

A 14,000lb gvw trailer has a empty weight of 2600lbs it leaves you 11,400lb payload a TB145 weighs 11,000lbs with a cab. To haul a TB145 you would need a 20,000lb tag behind a single axle or tandem axle dump.

Kubota KX121 weighs 9800lbs, you end up with 1600lbs of payload left which gives you some wiggle room.

A Deere 35C weighs 8200lbs you can haul that on a 12,000lb gvw trailer, a 3.5 ton machine is just a little too small, it is really borderline size for the work you get around here.

I have looked at the spec's on a 335 Bobcat but I can't bring myself to even consider buying a Bobcat mini.

The KX121 is still forsale I was looking at 2 months ago, it is the ideal size machine for the truck I have.
So go buy the KX121. Didn't Kubota Finance already approve you? Who cares about the worn pins and bushings. You aren't gonna be running it 8 hours a day every day. It will be lucky to see 8 hours in a month. Buy it. Make some money with it. Make the repairs. If your gonna nitpick a machine then just go buy a new one and watch it depreciate as you leave the lot. There is nothing perfect in this world. You obviously haven't found anything better yet so just buy it. Don't say there aren't any used machines out there either cause that's bullsh!t. There's more deals on equipment right now than there ever has been in your lifetime. You don't have a trailer yet so buying one to fit the machine is no big deal. A f450 should handle a 14k trailer no problem, I don't care what kind of hills you have. Unless it isn't maintained properly or the driver is an idiot. I don't know, maybe you shouldn't do it afterall...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
You have to remember... you don't live in BC. In BC they 90% grades.
Sounds like the where I grew up. Walked to and from school every day.......5 miles up hill............both ways .............

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Turbo Turf 300E hydroseeder
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstSvcs View Post
Sounds like the where I grew up. Walked to and from school every day.......5 miles up hill............both ways .............
me too
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

in the snow with no shoes...
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should i buy gas today? I have a half tank. hhmm What do you guys think? Wait till tomarrow? Maybe the price will go down. The market is improving, well except for my neighborhood. But if i buy gas today i have to emerge from the basement. Do you think my truck will make it to the gas station with 1/2 tank?

SOLO OPERATION
Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Should i buy gas today? I have a half tank. hhmm What do you guys think? Wait till tomarrow? Maybe the price will go down. The market is improving, well except for my neighborhood. But if i buy gas today i have to emerge from the basement. Do you think my truck will make it to the gas station with 1/2 tank?
Being a 6.0 it may not even crank!

but cummins and duramaxes suck! They don't last 2 days in the mines before they are traded in!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

ok guys, enough with the language and inappropriate pics, etc...if you don't like something then don't respond

thanks