Register free!

Old 03-22-2003, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Pages Ad

I'm new to this business. Right now, I'm doing mowing, edging, shrub trimming, bed work and lawn weed/feed. As of today, I have 5 customers signed up for weekly mowing. All of them took the weed/feed. I've noticed that many prospects will haggle on price over mowing, but not one has flinched on weed/feed pricing. And I'm not cheap. I'm getting minimum of $32 for 1st 5,000 sq ft and $4 per 1,000 sq ft after that. May be kinda low, but it's not 'cheap'.

Because of the licensing requirement, I'm thinking that eventually I might try to focus on the weed/feed only.

I've got a 1/3 page ad coming out in the yellow pages this September. It's not with the phone company, Verizon, but rather with one of those independent directory companies.

I just don't have any clue what to expect. I'm thinking of advertising only weed/feed (no mowing) in the yellow pages, but I really don't have any idea what to expect.

If I were to get tons of calls, I'd want to only advertise weed/feed. However, if I'm only going to get a handful of calls each month, I'd prefer to advertise everything I do.

Anyone have any experience with the independent yellow pages companies? (For the record, I refuse to advertise with Verizon...they burned their bridge with me all the way to the ground.)

Thanks,
DFW, TX
Old 03-23-2003, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have no experience with an independent yellow page ad.

all advertising is pretty much a roll of the dice.

i'd suggest advertising 'full service'- wouldnt that give you a greater chance of keeping the phone ringing?

maybe something like:
We offer full service, specializing in fertilization and weed control

anyway, good luck
Old 03-24-2003, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I advertised Lawn & Turf Renovation in big and bold print to push that end of the biz, but I also had full service landscaping in the add as well for my yellow page add. What happened with Verizon out of curiousity, they seemed tough to deal with each time I went with them too.